Ram breathing heavy, laying on the bottom of the tank

B1gJ4k3

I noticed one of my black rams breathing heavily and laying on the bottom of the tank, not really moving much. She's upright, but definitely has trouble moving around. She'll stay in one spot for a bit and then move to another spot throughout the day, but it seems very difficult for her to swim.

I moved her to a quarantine tank about three weeks ago, added salt and the med trio and let her soak in it for a week without feeding. That didn't seem to have an effect. She's still laying on the bottom of the tank and not really moving. I changed about 30% of the water and started feeding her again. I assume she's eating because she's stayed alive this long, but I don't really ever see her eat, no matter how long I sit and watch her.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. She has no outward signs of injury or distress and looks otherwise fine. Any idea what might be going on here? What's my next move?

• Sad 1

@Colu Oops. Sorry forgot parameters. All normal

Temp: 82

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: ~20

I haven’t actually seen her try to swim. She just stays in on spot on the bottom. She kinda just scoots along, I think.

Belly isn’t sunken. If anything, it’s kinda plumped up. I thought it might be a swim bladder issue, but didn’t want to stress her out more by taking her out and doing an epsom salt bath. 

It could be swim bladder most cases of swim bladder are caused by fish over eating and the stomach putting pressure on the swim bladder internal parasites can also damage the swim bacterial infection of the swim bladder  or an injury such as swimming into something in the tank if it's an injury and it's not improved in 3 weeks it could be permanent damage I would recommend Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to relieve pressure on the swim bladder I would also do a course of metronidazole that the active ingredient in metroplex @B1gJ4k3

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:56 AM, B1gJ4k3 said:

I noticed one of my black rams breathing heavily and laying on the bottom of the tank, not really moving much. She's upright, but definitely has trouble moving around. She'll stay in one spot for a bit and then move to another spot throughout the day, but it seems very difficult for her to swim.

If you have a breeder box, keep her as high to the surface you can.  The hang on ones are preferable because they have less of a tendency to jump when scared and smash into the lid causing further injury.  It also gives them pretty calm waters if the tank has high flow at the top.

I hope the baths go well.  Best of luck.

For the sake of thoroughness, is it possible the ram hit the lid or was spooked and injured itself on decor? Does any of the decor need to be removed or sanded?