Marcell

Hi! New member from Olympia WA! It’s been years since I’ve had fish. Just wanting to get back into having them. I currently just got a used 20G tall. No lid, lights, filter, etc yet! Thinking of general good community fish that will coexist well with a Betta. Advice is welcome! 

• Like 4

Hello Marcell!

I'm getting back in too. Haven't had a tank since 2005! 

Advice: keep it simple. Use a sponge filter, ask your local hardware store (if they sell Plexiglas) if they have any scrap bits they want to sell you. 

Buckets: go to a supermarket that has a bakery. Ask if they want to sell you some of the buckets the frosting came in. 
Odds are, they'll give them to you. 
Same with restaurants. They get pickles in 5 gallon containers. 

Scour Facebook Marketplace for used stuff too. 

Lights? Aquarium Co-op has some wonderful lights they just put out!. 

Understock your tank since it is a tall. It has less surface area. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 2:46 PM, Marcell said:

coexist well with a Betta.

This is trial & error, as each betta (aka Siamese Fighting Fish) has a different personality.  Some people say to never put anything with a male betta, only with a female betta.  It seems neon tetras are a popular pick. Mystery snails are not a good choice because the betta thinks their antennae are worms.  I believe @xXInkedPhoenixX has had some success with keeping a male betta w/ guppies. Have a separate tank set up in case any fights or bullying happen. I had my betta in with a nerite, and I came to learn that the betta was picking on the nerite after dark!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2023 at 6:16 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Betta have VERY individual personalities. It will all depend on that.

agreed. my betta is extremely peaceful, and shy, its hard to find good tankmates for bettas as they are different. for me, it cant nip the fins, for others, they have to be able to escape the betta.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies! 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:18 PM, Sharon M said:

Hello Marcell!

I'm getting back in too. Haven't had a tank since 2005! 

Advice: keep it simple. Use a sponge filter, ask your local hardware store (if they sell Plexiglas) if they have any scrap bits they want to sell you. 

Buckets: go to a supermarket that has a bakery. Ask if they want to sell you some of the buckets the frosting came in. 
Odds are, they'll give them to you. 
Same with restaurants. They get pickles in 5 gallon containers. 

Scour Facebook Marketplace for used stuff too. 

Lights? Aquarium Co-op has some wonderful lights they just put out!. 

Understock your tank since it is a tall. It has less surface area. 

The plexiglass suggested as a top for the rank, correct?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:37 AM, Marcell said:

Thank you all for the replies! 

You're welcome!

On 2/17/2023 at 12:37 AM, Marcell said:

The plexiglass suggested as a top for the rank, correct?

Correct!   That is how I have my current lid for my tank. 
Granted, I work there already, so it was easy for me to find it and ask my boss.

Saved me some money!

Hi Marcell, as others have commented bettas have widely different personalities. I had to ultimately remove any fish that swim at mid- or top- water level. He's still a little shy and startles easily. So the point is be prepared for him to love his community buddies or want to hide out all the time. 

Welcome to this group of kind and knowledgeable people. Enjoy your mini world!

Welcome fellow washingtonian! There quite a few of us in the general Puget Sound area.

Can't wait to see how your tank turns out.

Does anyone know if ACO still keeps some bettas in their displays with other fish? I know they used to do that to show that it could be a good fit for a community.

When I was in the fish store in Olympia recently, there was this male blue crowntail Betta on their rack there was getting picked on by a fancy plakot betta. I told the worker and his response was "Again?! This is the fourth time he's jumped over to pick on that guy"

Maybe he would be more docile?