GH 2,300 ppm?

Noahspurlin

I love the ACO test strips, but for me, they're useless after nitrate and nitrite.  None of the other pads give me usable information.  Could just be my water.  The pH one is impossible to me.  My aged water is 8.2/8.3 and on the strips it looks like 6something.  GH is off the charts and KH comes in really low for some reason even though it's like 20 degrees.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 2:39 PM, Noahspurlin said:

I have came across that recently while doing research too, going forward that is the rule I’d like to try and follow. I used about 15lbs between the 2 fish tanks and it looks like I was following the instructions but more for salt water and African cichlids. 

Interesting....

so 20L tanks.  You're looking at normally 2 lbs and running 7-8.  I'm surprised the KH is reading low, but fully expect it to shoot up.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, jwcarlson said:

I love the ACO test strips, but for me, they're useless after nitrate and nitrite.  None of the other pads give me usable information.  Could just be my water.  The pH one is impossible to me.  My aged water is 8.2/8.3 and on the strips it looks like 6something.  GH is off the charts and KH comes in really low for some reason even though it's like 20 degrees.

Yea I haven’t really used test strips before aqua co-op but I do have the api water tube test kit also. Luckily my ph is 6.8 out of tap.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Interesting....

so 20L tanks.  You're looking at normally 2 lbs and running 7-8.  I'm surprised the KH is reading low, but fully expect it to shoot up.

Yeah, should I remove 75% of the crushed coral tonight? And do a 25% water change? 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'd say remove a good amount at least. Dry it out. Bag it. Depends on how high of a PH you're shooting for. 2lbs per 10G is not unheard of if you have basically RO from the tap.

Okay sounds good 👍 thank you everyone for the helpful information!!!!

• Like 1