Super livebearer hybrid?

The endler guy

Generally speaking, the intentional making of hybrids is discouraged in the hobby. There are a number of reasons.

I understand the interest though. I wanted to try Gambusia with Guppies once upon a time. I do not think it can be done.

“Gollies” and “Muppies” are infertile. If trying to cross Endlers with Mollys, female Mollys and male Endlers should be tried, not the reverse because of their size variance.

Aside from your question… beware of urban myths making claims about hybrids in the hobby. Lots of passionate fiction out there…

• Love 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:09 AM, Fish Folk said:

Generally speaking, the intentional making of hybrids is discouraged in the hobby. There are a number of reasons.

I understand the interest though. I wanted to try Gambusia with Guppies once upon a time. I do not think it can be done.

“Gollies” and “Muppies” are infertile. If trying to cross Endlers with Mollys, female Mollys and male Endlers should be tried, not the reverse because of their size variance.

Aside from your question… beware of urban myths making claims about hybrids in the hobby. Lots of passionate fiction out there…

I’m thinking from a clearly scientific perspective as I’m sure it would be important in genome mapping and taxonomic relationships and if you can mix a fertile hybrid and a different species (guppy endler and mollie) as that could additionally be beneficial for agriculture 

• 2 weeks later...

When I kept guppies my LFS at the time sold them as and with guppies. I didn't know they were different. Treated them the same, added them to the breeding pool. Obiously they look to be the same style of fish and chase the females just the same as the male guppies.

Many people argue that endlers and guppies are not even 2 different to species but 1. My understanding is the same is true for mosquitoe fish but I'm not sure. Technically speaking they do have different species names but the same family name. Since all 4 (including guppies and mollies) are in the same family, yes they can produce hybrids. 

On the topic of producing hybrids however, it is frowned upon for good reason. As hobbyist and breeders we should want to better the species not make it worse. Hybrids most definitely are not healthy for the fish or the species. Most are so unhealthy they rarely survive a few days. Those that do make it have many health problems and are sterile. It's just unethical to intentionally produce hybrids because of these reasons. Mistakes and accidents do happen, but one should not seek out to create a fish they know has such a great chance of being unhealthy. 

• Like 1