Rummynose die off after medicating

EvanT

Hello everyone, 

This is my first time posting in this forum, hoping I can get some insight into what happened. 

In my 20 gallon community tank one of my corydora's had some fungal growth so I moved to treat it. My tank had 2 honey gouramis, 14 rummynose tetras, and 7 corydoras. I used maracyn and ich-x together and two days later all but 3 of my rummies died along with one corydora. I've had them all for about 3 months now with no issues. I dosed per the bottles one time and did not re-admister the doses after the first. I tested the water and it was 0/0/20-30 for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. 

This is the first time I had a massive die off so I'm pretty sad about the situation and want to prevent it from happening again. Let me know if there's anymore information I can give to help. 

1) temp fluctuates 76-77 Fahrenheit depending on our apartment heat 

2) I did about a 15-20% water change prior to medicating. I used prime in the new water. 

3) pH is 7.4-7.6

Tank picture attached. Sucks seeing it so empty. 

Thanks for the reply. 

20230211_084621.jpg

@Colunot sure if I should be tagging in replies but tagging you just in case. 

On 2/11/2023 at 3:51 PM, EvanT said:

No symptoms, only the Cory has white on it, image attached. Does not look like ich more like a fungal growth. One of my other Corys has a red hue on the body but I thought it was just the species. @Colu

20230209_120348.jpg

Doesn't look like a fungal infection  could have been an injury  on this Cory or a bacterial infection you can get these patches on the back with columnaris usually when you lose multiple fish in short time it would be poor water quality such as high ammonia nitrite nitrate or bacterial infection temperature shock  your water parameters look fine columnaris can cause massive die off in 24hr without your fish showing any symptoms usually you would get white patches on the body and mouth rot or white lips fish don't always get these symptoms this is what could have happened here I can't be 100% sure that is the cause 

Edited by Colu

I am sorry to hear about your loss; it must have been so distressing. I don’t have any guesses about what happened. Grasping at straws I might suggest adding an airstone when dosing meds if you don’t have a lot of surface agitation. But I’m not saying lack of air is what happened here.  Hope the tank recovers soon.

Edited by PineSong
Clarification
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:02 AM, Colu said:

Doesn't look like a fungal infection  could have been an injury  on this Cory or a bacterial infection you can get these patches on the back with columnaris usually when you lose multiple fish in short time it would be poor water quality such as high ammonia nitrite nitrate or bacterial infection temperature shock  your water parameters look fine columnaris can cause massive die off in 24hr without your fish showing any symptoms usually you would get white patches on the body and mouth rot or white lips fish don't always get these symptoms this is what could have happened here I can't be 100% sure that is the cause 

@Colu I appreciate the input. I did a water change just to have the water slowly return to normal.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:46 PM, PineSong said:

I am sorry to hear about your loss; it must have been so distressing. I don’t have any guesses about what happened. Grasping at straws I might suggest adding an airstone when dosing meds if you don’t have a lot of surface agitation. But I’m not saying lack of air is what happened here.  Hope the tank recovers soon.

@PineSong It's the most upset with myself I have been in my short time in this hobby. It's sad to think that everything went well for 3 months until the last couples days with the rummy group. I have two air pump filters that have the bubbles expel at the top of the surface. There is the possibility it wasn't enough agitation with how much surface area the tank covers.

On 2/11/2023 at 8:05 PM, Theplatymaster said:

ive heard cory talking about Ich-X being dangerous if you dont water change afterwards...

@Theplatymaster I haven't heard that I'll have to read into it. Could it be rummynoses/tetras being really sensitive? I referred to a forum page on while I was reading through possible fungal solutions and read through an article mentioning dosing with Ich-X and Maracyn and letting it soak for a week and if symptoms persisted then I should follow the bottle directions and apply daily.