Wire racks from amazon for aquariums

Kieflow

Hello all, has anyone ever used the 5 shelf wire racks from amazon for fish tanks? It says they are rated up to 350lbs per shelf, and a 20 gallon long fits very nicely onto the shelf. I’ve heard 20 longs are 225lbs with water so I have some wiggle room. Substrate will be a thin layer of sand with clay potted plants I plan on putting a piece of plywood across the wire shelving so the tank has a flat surface to sit on. 

C883C3E3-B822-47AD-9981-F224EFE62B43.jpeg

Edited by Kieflow

On 2/9/2023 at 11:59 AM, Kieflow said:

Hello all, has anyone ever used the 5 shelf wire racks from amazon for fish tanks? It says they are rated up to 350lbs per shelf, and a 20 gallon long fits very nicely onto the shelf. I’ve heard 20 longs are 225lbs with water so I have some wiggle room. Substrate will be a thin layer of sand with clay potted plants I plan on putting a piece of plywood across the wire shelving so the tank has a flat surface to sit on. 

C883C3E3-B822-47AD-9981-F224EFE62B43.jpeg

I'm planning to do the same but I'm getting the Gladiator shelves from Home Depot. As long as you support each level and don't go over the weight limit it should be fine. I would also secure it to the wall just to avoid some wobbling.

These are popular (not the amazon ones specifically but similar looking shelves) in another forum that I'm in that focuses mostly on planted tanks, nano fish and shrimp.

I've used that style of rack for smaller tanks, and they do the job but I'd be reluctant to put anything larger than a 10 gallon on any one shelf, or more than 2 tanks on the unit (lowest shelves only). I find there is too much bend in the wire the shelves are made of, and too much wiggle/wobble of the entire structure. A decent test that most folks can do is try sitting on it. Take a piece of plywood or particle board that fits the shelf (like in the pic above), remove the empty tank, and climb on. Carefully. How stable is it?

After you've done that, imagine a full tank is on it, and the tank or shelf gets jostled or bumped. If the unit is solid, the water might slosh a bit, but it'll settle quickly. But if the shelf unit wobbles, you can get a rhythm or frequency issue that amplifies the sloshing, instead of damping it. I wouldn't think you'd be likely to lose the tank, but my gut still says eek.

So I recommend going with a smaller tank, or a better shelf. But that's just my 2c. 

• Like 1

I think they'd make a great storage rack for food, equipment not currently installed, and other dry goods/hardscape items.  

I wouldn't put a fish tank on those if you paid me.  There's much better racks available, but I'm not sure about the cost difference.  

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, jwcarlson said:

I think they'd make a great storage rack for food, equipment not currently installed, and other dry goods/hardscape items.  

I wouldn't put a fish tank on those if you paid me.  There's much better racks available, but I'm not sure about the cost difference.  

This. I had the same or similar I used them just for this purpose It would have to be less than a 5 gallon for me to even think about putting a tank on one MAYBE!