Fuzzy cory juvenile

Cinnebuns

10 gallon with panda cory juveniles, guppy fry and juveniles and ramshorn snails

Ammonia:  0

Nitrite:  0

Nitrate: 20

I found this one juvenile panda cory with a fuzzy growth on its head. Fungus maybe?  No other dish or snails have any signts of anything. I don't watch this tank very often but I did just now watch one of the guppy juveniles flash a bunch. I haven't noticed any flashing other than just now. 

@Colu

20230208_181533.jpg

20230208_181540.jpg

20230208_181752.jpg

Looks pretty nasty.  QT the herd.  Treat them with salt + Ich-X for now and see how things progress.  If you have IALs do that as well. 

On 2/8/2023 at 4:31 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I found this one juvenile panda cory with a fuzzy growth on its head. Fungus maybe?

Yeah, definitely a fungus of some kind.  Underlying could be a bacterial issue as well when the fungus clears, so you'd want to keep an eye out for that.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 2/8/2023 at 8:32 PM, Colu said:

Ick X and maracyn is an effective treatment for fungal infections  and I would also add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties as @nabokovfan87 suggested @Cinnebuns

Screenshot_20230209-023021.jpg

The cory in question died but I'm assuming I should still treat the tank?  No other fish show signs but I'm assuming they still need to be treated. 

On 2/9/2023 at 4:26 AM, Cinnebuns said:

The cory in question died but I'm assuming I should still treat the tank?  No other fish show signs but I'm assuming they still need to be treated. 

it's more than likely an opportunistic fungal infection  that's more than likely developed on an injury I don't think you need to treat your other fish unless they are showing 

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 6:16 AM, Colu said:

it's more than likely an opportunistic fungal infection it that more than likely developed on an injury I don't think you need to treat your other fish unless they are showing 

That's exactly what a friend said. He said he's seen it with young cories from bumping into things while glass surfing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 6:59 PM, Colu said:

It's still could be a coincidence that this one has developed the same thing have you checked your tank to see if their is anything that could be injuring their noses causing these secondary fungal infections I would treat with maracyn and Ick X @Cinnebuns

Just to make sure, maracyn is not the same as maracyn oxy or maracyn 2 correct?  There is 3 different kinds?  Amazon doesn't have plain maracyn

On 2/19/2023 at 6:19 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Just to make sure, maracyn is not the same as maracyn oxy or maracyn 2 correct?  There is 3 different kinds?  Amazon doesn't have plain maracyn. 

You want maracyn not maracyn oxy or maracyn2 if you have some aquarium salt to hand  add 1 table spoon for 3 gallons and ick X and follow up with maracyn when it arrives 

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, Colu said:

as your having reoccurring problems with the Cory's in this tank doing I would do a more aggressive treatment with ick X and and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons   ick X is more effective as it contains formaldehyde and malachite green @Cinnebuns

Ok sounds good. No maracyn this time?