Ich-X not working please help.

Steakum1127

i’ve been treating with ick-x for over 20 days now. spots are clear from all the inhabitants except tetras which just can’t seem to shake the parasite. water params  are all good. PH is right at 7. 

temp was 84 for the first 15 days, but I brought it back down to 78 because it was clearly stressing everyone in the tank out really bad.

no salt, i’ve got mystery snails shrimp and pygmy corys. 

after a very frustrating past couple weeks, i’ve started dosing every twelve hours instead of every 24. no update on that front yet though, it’s only been a few days doing that.

Edited by Steakum1127

On 2/5/2023 at 6:09 PM, Steakum1127 said:

no salt, i’ve got mystery snails shrimp and pygmy corys. 

Hello, welcome to the forums.  Please move the snails elsewhere and then go ahead and treat the tank with salt.  Things you should be doing as well is the added airstones at this time, especially for corydoras and species that prefer cooler waters.

Keep at it, give it more time.  Remember that dropping temp slows down the lifecycle of ich and so it does take longer. 

To give you some idea, when I had ich outbreak in my 55G I ended up having to treat for 3-4 weeks before I saw any real progress.  I kept things at bay, lost half the tank, but eventually they were ok.  The tank in question normally was at 71-72 and getting it up in temp took a while, which meant a lot of meds were used to keep fighting it off.  The best advice I can give you is to follow this video.

I have used salt with my corydoras many times.  Many, many times and they are fine.   There are research papers you can dig up, here is a study done that is often a top result when it comes to corydoras and salt levels.

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3981357&pid=11114

I dose in 1/2 cup per 10g (same as the video) but if you are concerned, stick to 1/3 cup per 10G.

Edited by nabokovfan87

It might just be my eyesight some of the spot's look raised correct me if am wrong if they are raised then I would treat with ick X and maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days if they not raised then I would treat with ick X and aquarium salt as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes @Steakum1127

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

• Like 2