UV Sterilizers for Algae Bloom

Millie

Hey y'all! Hope everyone's alright. I've been experiencing what I can only assume is an algae bloom in my aquarium, the water is warm and clean ( temperature is at 80°, tank is cycled and levels are normal, no spike in ammonia or anything ) and I was looking into ways to fix this Bloom.

I got recommended to a UV sterilizer, and the one I can afford recommended putting it into the filter tank to avoid making direct contact with the fish and water. Does anyone have experience with UV sterilizers?

Yes. I use them for green water on my window tanks during the summer.  They are great for clearing up green water fast. I use Green Killing Machine by AAA brand. 
Though they will clear it the cause of the problem needs addressed or it will return the minute you stop using them. 

Green water is caused by too many nutrients coupled with too much light. I recommend reducing the length and intensity of your lighting as well as thoroughly vacuuming the substrate and reducing feeding amount. 
Also check that you have adequate flow and filtration in the tank. 

• Like 3

Everything Guppysnail listed is good advice.  One additional thing helped me with green dust and staghorn algae was using Easy Carbon as directed on the container.  Honestly I was a little surprised; something in my pea brain resisted the idea that it would help.  Gosh I was wrong again.  It did help and fairly quick.  

• Like 1

I have two questions! One's related to this post and another is related to magnesium levels in the water;

so how can you tell if algae is suspended in the water? My water is cloudy and tinted green, I've been keeping the light off because I read that keeping that on helps algae grow, but I don't want to risk getting a UV light if something else is the problem.

Also! I noticed at the store you can get liquid magnesium for aquariums similar to getting liquid calcium, both are used for coral reefs but I was wondering if they could also be used for my mystery snail to prevent paralysis from lack of it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 7:22 PM, Millie said:

so how can you tell if algae is suspended in the water? My water is cloudy and tinted green, I've been keeping the light off because I read that keeping that on helps algae grow, but I don't want to risk getting a UV light if something else is the problem.

If you can post a photo that would help, but "cloudy and tinted green" sure sounds like green water, which is single-celled algae suspended in the water column. A UV light would kill that as the algae pass by (along with any other free-floating single-celled organisms). Tank blackouts should help, too. Actually, so would daphnia and some other small creatures that would eat the green water algae, but fish would likely predate on the daphnia too fast for them to make much difference. It's worth noting that green water might not look good, and it can be a threat to plants by just shading them out, but it's no harm to fish at all.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:22 PM, Millie said:

Also! I noticed at the store you can get liquid magnesium for aquariums similar to getting liquid calcium, both are used for coral reefs but I was wondering if they could also be used for my mystery snail to prevent paralysis from lack of it.

I am unfamiliar with liquid magnesium, but I do use Seachem Equilibrium (a powder) to dissolve calcium and magnesium into the water that I use for water changes. So while I can vouch for the liquid stuff (maybe it's better?) I know the Equilibrium works great for what I need it for.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed a Three watt AA Aquarium Green Killing Machine Clip-On UV System. Has anyone used this particular one? There's no on/off indicator light that I can find. I guess I could wait for a couple of weeks to see if the water clears up but I'd like to be assured that it is actually working. I have sent this question to the manufacturer but I'm hoping to get a faster answer here. If no one knows I'll post the AA (manufacturer) response. Thanks for reading.

IMG_1688_edited.jpg

IMG_1689_edited.jpg