Knocked automatic feeder in aquarium - spilled it whole content

Karen B.

It was a cozy afternoon, weather at a comfortable -50 outside. I had nothing planned so apparently I found nothing better to do then knock my automatic feeder into my 30 gallons community tank. All its content was spilled (a mix of various food including flakes, pellets, etc.)

Within half an hour, I had a bucket filled with 1/4 of the soiled water and the rest was fast dripped acclimated from another aquarium. I moved my chili rasboras and my 2 honey gourami inside, as well as some rocks, driftwood, plants.

Then began the nightmare to catch all my corydoras (accidentally injured one. Feeling so bad) and move them inside the 5 gallons bucket as well as the heater and the sponge filter.

I am wondering what dhould be the next steps.

1 - A lot of food got burried into the substrate when I unrooted plants, tried to catch fish, moved decor/driftwood, etc. Must I get rid of it and replace it? I did vacuum it but as I said, food got under/mixed in. I am afraid if too much food is left, it will rot and create ammonia or gas pocket.

2 - should I leave the fish in the 5 gallons bucket (2 honey gourami, 12 chili rasboras, 16 corydoras) in the 5 gallons bucket and do heavy daily WC or should I scatter them around in my fishroom?

3 - should the injured cory be separated or as they are already stressed, just put a lot of catappa leaves in the bucket?

4 - What are the steps to get my aquarium back running? Do daily large WC? If I keep my HoB filter running, will it stay cycled or should I start the cycle all over?

I welcome any tips, suggestions, recommandations and pity party.

First, relax a bit you have done a good gravel vac.  Since the fish are out you can agitate the gravel the get the food back into water column so the filter can get it and if you feel there is still a lot in there keep vaccing .

Then reset your aquarium and return the fish.

Tomorrow you might want to look at your filter sponges and give them a clean.

Feed lightly and watch the parameters. But you have done what you can. Be ready to do extra water changes but you'll probably be fine.

If the cory is swimming ok it will be happier with it's friends if not swimming well maybe isolate if you have a suitable tank

If the cory is swimming ok it will be happier with it's friends if not swimming well maybe isolate if you have a suitable tank

• Like 1

I would plan on doing 20% water changes every day this week.  And then I think you could let it go.  There was a thread here that I read on my first day where some were positing that fish food makes a good fertilizer.  Mission accomplished, eh?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:19 PM, Karen B. said:

I am wondering what should be the next steps.

1 - A lot of food got burried into the substrate when I unrooted plants, tried to catch fish, moved decor/driftwood, etc. Must I get rid of it and replace it? I did vacuum it but as I said, food got under/mixed in. I am afraid if too much food is left, it will rot and create ammonia or gas pocket.

2 - should I leave the fish in the 5 gallons bucket (2 honey gourami, 12 chili rasboras, 16 corydoras) in the 5 gallons bucket and do heavy daily WC or should I scatter them around in my fishroom?

3 - should the injured cory be separated or as they are already stressed, just put a lot of catappa leaves in the bucket?

4 - What are the steps to get my aquarium back running? Do daily large WC? If I keep my HoB filter running, will it stay cycled or should I start the cycle all over?

I welcome any tips, suggestions, recommendations and pity party.

Move all the plants to a tub / bucket so you can siphon the substrate well enough.  Depending what it is you might actually be able to use a small cup to scoop out the gravel and just rinse it somewhere.  Fish are out of the tank, just siphon things really well, repeat that if you need to a second time.  Dose in dechlorinator and run some carbon for a week or two.  Add the catappa leaves to the aquarium with some aquarium salt as well (helps with ammonia and nitrite burn).

Adding fish and having fish back in there shouldn't be a big issue as long as you take the time to fix it and get the food out.  You're doing a big water change, so acclimating them with a drip might be beneficial in this situation as well if your water is different in terms of chemistry to the tank normally.

• Like 1