Getting Betta to Eat

Louise02

My daughter received a new female betta a week ago.  She looks healthy, swims better than any other betta we've ever had, is very curious, does not act timid.  She will nip salts off my daughter's finger.  Everything seems to be going well, except that I haven't seen her eat.  I have given her Hikari's Betta Bio-Gold floating pellets (that we successfully used with bettas in the past) and Xtreme's Community Crave, that the other fish seem to love.  Do I need to start hatching brine shrimp?  Would that help?  Is there a better way to feed her?  Thank you!!!

You can try frozen brine shrimp. I feed mine directly to my bettas mouth using a pipette to make sure they get it in their belly and reduce waste in the tank. Both my guys come right up and eat from it when they see it.

Frozen bloodworms are always good too.  These should be used more as treats once or twice a week though. My regular food for them is the Northfin Betta Bits, they devour them. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

BBS is a good course of action if she won’t eat, then try weaning her onto pellets. 

Thank you.

On 2/4/2023 at 12:31 PM, Goldie Blue said:

You can try frozen brine shrimp. I feed mine directly to my bettas mouth using a pipette to make sure they get it in their belly and reduce waste in the tank. Both my guys come right up and eat from it when they see it.

Frozen bloodworms are always good too.  These should be used more as treats once or twice a week though. My regular food for them is the Northfin Betta Bits, they devour them. 

Thank you!  I will try that food.

On 2/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Ask the shop what they feed, I did well with bug bites with my bettas.

Thank you.  I just added Bug Bites to my cart.  I should have called the pet shop immediately.  I'll do that tomorrow.  Thanks!

On 2/7/2023 at 12:36 AM, Louise02 said:

I just added Bug Bites to my cart.

I second @Flumpweesel - I wouldn't buy anything new until you check with the store...Bettas usually eat just about anything, but start with what the store was feeding and then go from there. I use Extreme Betta and some Bio Gold on occasion for mine, I've tried flake in the past, but she's not the brightest, so I find dropping the pellets in front of her is a lot easier and I know how many I've given her (honestly, if the pellet drifts too far, I have to lead her back to it...def not the brightest...lol)

if you have any flake, you could try to have your daughter put some on her finger and try that, since she nips salts off now?

Edited by DebSills

On 2/7/2023 at 8:38 AM, DebSills said:

I second @Flumpweesel - I wouldn't buy anything new until you check with the store...Bettas usually eat just about anything, but start with what the store was feeding and then go from there. I use Extreme Betta and some Bio Gold on occasion for mine, I've tried flake in the past, but she's not the brightest, so I find dropping the pellets in front of her is a lot easier and I know how many I've given her (honestly, if the pellet drifts too far, I have to lead her back to it...def not the brightest...lol)

if you have any flake, you could try to have your daughter put some on her finger and try that, since she nips salts off now?

Why did I not think of that?  That is a great idea!  I will have my daughter try to feed her by finger.  Thank you!

On 2/4/2023 at 8:33 AM, Louise02 said:

Is there a better way to feed her?

Sometimes stressed fish just need time. Give the fish a few days to adjust, try feeding every other day, but don't be discouraged if the food isn't eaten right away.  Is the Betta bloated at all?

The above advice is really good, give it time and see how things go. let us know and best of luck.