What’s this? Gold?!? A mysterious Endler fry…

On 2/19/2023 at 11:04 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I originally thought about calling it ‘Pépite’ which is gold nugget in French, but since there are 2 more any ideas are welcome.

my brain: tries to come up with a pun with a mix of endler and gold.

here are my 2 ideas:

1. Aundler (Au is gold, with the rest of endler)

2.Endler 79, (79 is the atomic number of gold, sigh, why is chemistry class affecting me so much).

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:29 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

The plot thickens! I have discovered new Endler fry in both the 8 gal and the 20 gal I moved most of the colony to.

This leaves one possible outcome: 2 or more Endlers are producing these fry. I could isolate them 1 by 1 and try and get to the bottom of this, but why??

are these fry like Aundler at all?

• 2 weeks later...

The mystery of the golden Endler deepens! 
One of the gold Endlers (normally Xanthic) is a couple of shades whiter than his/her siblings. I’ve established a color grade system:

Low Grade : Exhibiting small patches of gold, nothing special. image.jpg.b4dfd39678faeb0ad3966144383c85ae.jpg

Medium grade: Uniform gold all over the body, Xanthism, and the color become more intense while they develop.

511031B3-EDFE-4E73-9D63-82516D676862.jpeg.2143398ec24210da6d9d4b4d5fd54dc4.jpeg

High Grade: A couple of shades whiter than the Gold ones, bordering on leucism. Retain a small patch of gold around the head. 905DC180-A611-4F51-9E6E-A4EF3266F4F1.jpeg.5294a6bc2654da38724326f174d5de35.jpeg

I might eventually put some up on Aquabid if I get a good strain going . 
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/4/2024 at 11:04 PM, Meiklemon said:

I came here with the same question! I have a bunch of fry from my Japanese blue endler. 2 are gold. Do you have any photos of them full grown? 

Almost my entire population perished because of a ich outbreak, but the survivors have reengineered some gold babies…they aren’t full grown, but the previous ones were. 
I can tell you that they don’t pass on the gold gene to their fry (at least not directly) and that the males look absolutely amazing. 🤩 

• Love 1