White precipitate after adding aragonite (crushed coral)

Penny in AL

I've seen mineral deposits accumulate on parts of heaters like this before, but never quite this crystalline or so fast. 

Take out the heater, and once it's cooled soak it in vinegar (or soak a paper towel in vinegar and wrap the heater). Let stand for an hour or so. The deposits/crystals should come off fairly well. 

Return to the tank and see if it grows back as fast. If not, it was a temporary problem associated with the newly added aragonite. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, TOtrees said:

I've seen mineral deposits accumulate on parts of heaters like this before, but never quite this crystalline or so fast. 

Yes! Once I dosed seachem equilibrium in my tank but on my the heater by a mistake as I keep it next to filter, and I got a residue all over it. But even then it was not such a thick layer as it is in this pic.

In my case, it was a quarantine tank, so when I took heater off and let it dry over night, it came off easily. It was hardy and I couldn't remove it when it was wet tho. Be careful to not dmg the heater in case you decide to clean it. Heaters can be fragile. 

On 1/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, TOtrees said:

Take out the heater, and once it's cooled soak it in vinegar (or soak a paper towel in vinegar and wrap the heater). Let stand for an hour or so. The deposits/crystals should come off fairly well. 

you may want to give this a try!

Remove the heater asap and then replace it.  Worst case is you have a backup, best case is you save the tank. 

I would send photos to the company, get a replacement. Something isn't right and that's not normal.

If you attribute this to the CC, then you likely need to just do a siphon, change some water and whatever residue will be removed.  CC shouldn't, doesn't, but I can't guarantee isn't the reason for this.  I have added CC to a few tanks, no issues.  Rinsed or not rinsed, never seen anything like this.