Aquarist Conferences and Events 2023

@Odd Duckjust posted up about Aquashella now having 2 weekends booked. It’s an industry led event and the ACO is very involved. 

I wanted people to be aware of 2 other major events happening this year that are hobbyist led. 

The American Livebearer Association and American Killifish Association have combined their annual conferences this year after the success of the Triple Crown. 2 In the Zoo is its name. https://akaconvention.org This event is in May in Michigan.

The American Cichlid Association and the Cataclysm Catfish Convention group are having The Combo Plate https://www.aca-convention.org/?_ga=2.84904217.184470855.1674489958-1183146174.1674327785 This event will be in Madison, WI in July. 

I think it’s interesting the way these events have evolved and are evolving. I think it’s all about what you want and need from the hobby, the costs, and who you want to give your money to.  

Personally I’ll be heading to Wisconsin in July - can you say steamy - and of course would love to see some fellow Nerms there. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2023 at 8:28 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Wish I lived closer! I expect there are probably some other Nerms on here that'll be there...

No kidding! Why are they all in the Midwest?

I feel like I saw that the German Killifish Asocation has a conference in Dusseldorf. Still not that close but closer.

• Like 1

Gosh, I love Michigan in the summer but May is a tad early for me to go up there.

I went to Aquashella Chicago this year and to the Triple Crown in Louisville and had fun at them both. Honestly, the wood vendor at Aquashella was worth the price of admission just to shop for wood. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't been to one of these events to go!

• Like 1

I am hoping to go to the ALA/ AKA convention in Michigan, it is about a three hour drive for me. I won't be able to make it for the whole weekend, but I am planning to go on either the Sat or Sunday. 

Another good one to check out if you are within a few hours driving is the Ohio Cichlid Association, the OCA hosts an extravaganza every November, the weekend before Thanksgiving. It is held in Strongsville OH, a suburb just south of Cleveland. People are selling out of their hotel rooms, speakers, swap meet, cichlid and catfish show, and a huge cichlid, catfish and live plant auction on the Sunday.