What to do with Excess Frogbit?

CJhilljack

I'm about to set up an container to grow some plants emersed while I'm slowly gathering everything I need to set up the new 14 gallon tank I got for Christmas. It got me thinking...what is the minimum frogbit would need in order to do something similar - by which I mean, a nursery setup for use in my future tank?

I have been working to eliminate as much duckweed as possible in my 2 gallon jararium and now the frogbit is absolutely flourishing. In just the 2 weeks I've been working on the duckweed, my frogbit has expanded to the point where there I was able to put some in my 1 gallon jar and I'm sure by next week, I'll need a place to put the excess. The attached picture is from last week, after I did my first duckweed cleanout, today, there is even less duckweed. (I have nothing against duckweed, I just don't want it taking over, which it was starting to do).

My main goal with the 14 gallon tank is to finally get some medaka & I read they will lay eggs in the frogbit roots. Since I much prefer pretty plants to sponge mops, I want to hang onto my excess frogbit so I can add it to my tank when I'm ready. 

Has anyone set up something with their frogbit? If I put it in a container of water and feed it easy green would that be enough for it to be happy & healthy for my next tank? I know selling it is an option too & I might do that at some point as well, but in the meantime, does anyone have experience with this? 

Edited by CJhilljack
add photo & a bit more info

Replace it with Salvinia mini and send us all some!!!!!! 😂

Joking aside, the real way to use it is as food for chickens / livestock if that is something they can eat, or compost.  You could also use it as a means of paying for food or other items by selling some on the local seller apps (offerup, letgo, etc.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have been giving some to my chickens, but like I said, I'm really looking to "farm" some of it for my upcoming tank. I hope to be setting the tank up in February or March, I just need to gather/purchase a few more things before I can start it. 

That said, I'd be more than happy to sell it once I have enough for my 14 gallon in waiting. 😄

Lucky! I tried keeping them before but somehow my rummy noses love their roots :') I thought maybe they want more veggie based diet, but I just believe it is all about them enjoying to eat them 😄

They have been eating them in a level they can't develop any roots and die at some point. AlsoI believe they got competed by salvinia and duckweed too.

Planning to keep some on my new tank.

gimme >:D!

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

I saw a video on YouTube where they took the excess floating plants (duckweed and frogbit) and dried it in the sun for a few days (an oven could work too), then crushed it up and fed it to their fish. I imagine if you use Repashy or make your own food you could probably incorporate it that way too.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 4:54 AM, FLFishChik said:

I saw a video on YouTube where they took the excess floating plants (duckweed and frogbit) and dried it in the sun for a few days (an oven could work too), then crushed it up and fed it to their fish. I imagine if you use Repashy or make your own food you could probably incorporate it that way too.

That's a neat idea! 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:04 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

The tricky part might be lighting, but if you've got space lights or a bright enough window (or maybe it's warm enough to put it outside where you live), it ought to work. I like @Pepere 's idea about old tank water.

Maybe I'll try keeping some in a container in my garden window - it gets great sun. 

• Like 1