The plant that bites

Anyone ever try growing waterwheel plant (Aldrovanda vesicularia)? It's basically an aquatic submerged venus fly trap. Even has the snap traps. Seems like it could be big enough to catch large mosquito larvae. Started growing some from turions in the mail. They have started growing and developing their traps. Once it warms I'm going to put some in my outdoor pond. I might have to keep some endlers in with it to see if it can catch baby endlers.

IMG_20230120_133741_297.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 6

On 1/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I have grown most carnivorous plants.  And that one was awesome!  There are turion forming stains from cold weather locations, and ones that don't form turions from tropical places.  Plus, did you know you can get both forms in red?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/20/cb/7520cb60cc418d8b01ad94c8e1de381d.jpg

I've heard/seen the red ones, but I haven't been able to find any for sale. I'm fairly certain that the ones I got were originally from the southeast. I've heard tell that they are an introduced invasive over yonder. That's really cool that you have kept so many carnivores. The aquatic ones are the only ones I've had any luck with/could afford. Everything else either hates my water or gets destroyed by slugs and other wildlife.

I've not heard of them being invasive anywhere.  But they are considered challenging to grow in the CP community, so well done!

Did you get yours from Phil at Meadowview in VA?  I think Mike at The Carnivorous Plant Nursery in MD used to have the red variant from  Dawrin, Australia.  Be warned though, his prices are usually pretty high!

What water hardness do you grow it in? 

On 1/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I've not heard of them being invasive anywhere.  But they are considered challenging to grow in the CP community, so well done!

Did you get yours from Phil at Meadowview in VA?  I think Mike at The Carnivorous Plant Nursery in MD used to have the red variant from  Dawrin, Australia.  Be warned though, his prices are usually pretty high!

What water hardness do you grow it in? 

Yeah, carnivorous plants can be very pricey. I got mine from a place called darwins ateliers. Mine are in tap water. However the substrate is fully baked non clumping cat litter. The glass container has been set up for months, and I know when I use that substrate it will strip EVERYTHING from the water. I think the last time I checked the water was basically distilled.....

On 1/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

I got mine from a place called darwins ateliers.

Wow!  I've been out of the hobby for like 2 years, and I've never heard of that vendor!  Their prices are all over the map, as is their selection.  I can't even process it right now. So weird!

On 1/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

The glass container has been set up for months, and I know when I use that substrate it will strip EVERYTHING from the water. I think the last time I checked the water was basically distilled.....

Got it!  That makes sense.  I am always curious when folks outside of the CP hobby have success with the plants.  The hobby (or as I just learned, as I knew it back in the stone ages of 2 years ago!) is pretty canalized into a single way of cultivation.  So, when folks who aren't steeped in that mindset succeed, there can be a lot to learn!  I'm always excited if I find out I have been doing something wrong for years because I just wasn't adventurous enough.

Sorry, I didn't mean to take us down the garden path.  It's a great plant, and I am glad you shared it with everyone here! 

No prob bob. I'm way more of a plant guy than a fish guy. Actually as I get older, I am moving more to the plant side. I even have tanks that just have plants. I tried to get into the carnivorous plant thing, but the whole "needs distilled rainwater" thing was the main stumbling block for me. I had success floating them in my pond. However, they got eaten /destroyed by a combo of slugs and raccoons. You ever try growing parrot pitchers submerged?

On 1/24/2023 at 3:34 AM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

You ever try growing parrot pitchers submerged?

I've not.  I have one.  But in the 10+ years I've been growing it, I've just kept it with my other Sarrs.  I have used the pitchers in cross section as displays at the State Fair before though.  I probably should have put it in with some guppies at some point and found out if the traps work to catch fish as they are purported to.  Still time, I suppose. 

• Like 2