Need Another School of Tetras?

LeeLee

I had 7 Black Skirted Tetras for several several years. One developed what I thought was fin rot. I put all the tetras in a 10 gallon hospital tank. I tried everything but the fin didn’t get better or worse. They stayed in the hospital for months. One morning 5 were dead and already decaying. The 2 remaining are perfectly healthy. I’m scared to add them back to the community even after 2 months.

Now do I need to get more so there will be a school and less stressed. I feel bad if I don’t but I’m not sure if I want tetras for the rest of my life but hate to give them away since I’ve had them for a long time. 

First off sorry for your loss. It is always sad when fish pass away that you had for a long time. It could have been a disease or just that they were older. The 2 remaining, I would put them back in the community if they are not showing any signs of disease and you treated them. They probably will feel more comfortable with other fish as well. But in the end you have to make a decision on what you think is best for the fish and your other community. Hope everything works out for you. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Three weeks ago I bought 4 more tetras because I felt so bad. One of my old tetra’s passed away (??No sign of anything wrong.) before the new school mates got out of quarantine.  Now I need to get another to make 6. I hope the last original tetra stays with me  to finally get the enjoyment of another school.