Bloat? Gourami Help

Denied Taco

Hi everyone. My adventures to redoing my 45 gallon aquarium have gone awry. I have 3 bn plecos, 2 honeys and 3 albino corys, there was 5 but two died and 3 dwarf puffers (which my lps said would be okay in this big of a tank, I told them about my other fish). I don’t know the water parameters yet. I will be doing my tests tomorrow. As for right now I have a big problem. I have a dwarf gourami in a quarantine tank right now who was originally with everyone else. They all got along great. Fast forward about a month (December 2022) I went away because a family member got ill. My friend looks after my fish tank because they live with me and it was easiest. My dwarf gourami is locally bred and I’ve had him since September 2022 with no problems. Now he has a large stomach, which I originally thought was constipation or bloat so I tried treating it with peas, he ate one but no change. Now I have the same issue with a honey but in the earlier stages. I had a two corys died, one in the tank with the dwarf gourami and one with the honeys. My friend didn’t take either of the corys out and I’m now wondering if the two gouramis tried to make a snack out of the poor corys? Maybe that’s why they are sick. The corys were about 4-5 years old so it was most likely natural causes. The dwarf gourami is a neon blue and the honeys are reds. I need help. The honey is eating and pooping fine. The dwarf gourami is not doing either from what I can tell. 

4683C66C-9FEC-4EEC-9F26-68FD3F96F47D.jpeg

image.jpg

On 1/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, Colu said:

What are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate etc and how long has the fish been bloated have you tried fasting it if so did you notice any improvement @Denied Taco

Hi, he’s been like this for about a week and a half I think. He has been “fasting” because he can’t seem to swim to the surface to get food. So no improvement. He can swim around but he doesn’t move much. Ammonia may be high because I had add some Top Fin bacterial and fungal herbal remedy. The fish store said it might help.

Ammonia was a bit high 0.25

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

PH 7.5 

@Colu I am testing the water for the honeys a bit later today. I have to work right now. The honey is definitely not as bad. But I will definitely test when I’m done. 

What I would do is  daily 25% water changes and add a double dose of prime till your ammonia constantly stays at zero the symptoms your seeing could have been caused by an ammonia spike when you were away  what I would is Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants and will also reduce any possible fluid buildup causing the bloating @Denied Taco

Edited by Colu

@Colu Alright will do. I can only find top fin ammonia neutralizer. Maybe my little area of Canada doesn’t sell a lot of prime. My 45 gallon with the honeys all has perfect parameters. No ammonia or nitrate/nitrites. But the one honey has that problem too. What should i do for the honey? The honey was with the dwarf gourami, temporarily during the time I was away. Do you think the honey will just get better by themselves?

You could try Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days to reduce the bloating as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder and help with constipation @Denied Taco

I would also treat your dwarf gourami with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for a week just remember to only add back in the amount of salt you take out so if you do a 4 gallon water change put 2 table spoons back in @Denied Taco