Need help with status of cory eggs (new photos from today)

KittenFishMom

I think the cory eggs should be hatching now, but they don't seem to be. 

Please help me figure out the status of these eggs. There are more around the tank.  These are different clusters. Unfortunately, my camera work is not as clear as I like.

Note: The water is cloudy, but the parms look good. The corys are not as active as they were and I will probably move them back to the big tank. I have flagfish in my quarantine tank right now. The shrink tank is un heated and is at 65, because the wind cooled the cottage while we were in town. I have turned the heat in the cottage up.

Note #2: Eggs appeared Thursday and Friday 1/5-1/6. Today is Wednesday 1/11

Which eggs look like they might hatch? They are in a tank with blue shrimp. Are there any I need to remove?

photo 1 of 5

117727339_eggs5s.jpg.4634e24eaf4cd807bc4105377d0243bf.jpg

photo 2 of 5

1615983521_eggs2s.jpg.0adc3f8d6cad55e027227f9897526e32.jpg

photo 3 of 5

669622207_eggs1s.jpg.012acd966e41913c4dfc3c53534ef6e2.jpg

photo 4 of 5

1514629373_eggs3s.jpg.3aeea4cb77ed5841ee2436dcd50868b0.jpg

photo 5 of 5

1186135207_eggs4s.jpg.294b0308f61439a7aeec2b03aa7a0331.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom

On 1/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, KittenFishMom said:

photo 1 of 5

117727339_eggs5s.jpg.4634e24eaf4cd807bc4105377d0243bf.jpg

You can see in those top two eggs the actual fry inside the egg.

Also looks like the eggs below those two that are tan also have some details to them.

Cory fry can take anywhere from 48 hours to a week to hatch in sole cases.

You should see those hatch, the others that are that tan color without detail already may have.

As long as you don't see fungus, you don't need to do anything. Let the shrimp do their thing, let the fry do their thing. Add some repashy powder and just make sure there is mulm in the tank for the fry to eat.

I know it's difficult, but just check things out at night and you'll get an idea of what specifically to look for.

(Meaning just how the fry look after hatching, very very small) and you'll check on them every night.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 1/11/2023 at 5:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can see in those top two eggs the actual fry inside the egg.

Also looks like the eggs below those two that are tan also have some details to them.

Cory fry can take anywhere from 48 hours to a week to hatch in sole cases.

You should see those hatch, the others that are that tan color without detail already may have.

As long as you don't see fungus, you don't need to do anything. Let the shrimp do their thing, let the fry do their thing. Add some repashy powder and just make sure there is milk in the tank for the fry to eat.

I know it's difficult, but just check things out at night and you'll get an idea of what specifically to look for.

(Meaning just how the fry look after hatching, very very small) and you'll check on them every night.

By "check on them at night" do you mean shine a flashlight in the tank after the light goes out?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@nabokovfan87 I put Repashy Community Plus in. Not sure what you mean by "just make sure there is milk in the tank"?

autocorrected me.  MULM in the tank.   They will graze on mostly rock and plant surfaces, even sponge surfaces at this age.  The biggest obstacle is flow, beyond that it's just about a bit of food and time for them to grow.  Once you see fins, then they can better handle flow.

• Haha 1

That first pic is perfect for seeing which are fertile and which aren't. White: infertile. Brown/dark: fertile. Some cories definitely take longer to hatch than others and even beyond that what temp/tank params you have can alter that duration as well! I'd give them some more time. If you hit the two week mark and still have eggs and no wigglers I'd say something went wrong along the way (not uncommon at all) and it's time to remove the eggs, but until then I'd let them do their lil egg thing and develop! The two on top look very close to hatching to me!

Edit: I'm blind and didn't see the temp until now. 65 is definitely pretty low for corys so there's no doubt in my mind these eggs will take a little longer than normal to hatch! That's most likely the main reason you haven't seen any wigglers yet!

Edited by itsfoxtail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 I knew MILK did not make sense, but I never thought of MULM. Of course.

@nabokovfan87 All that is providing flow in the tank are 2 air stones and a sponge filter. I added the extra air stone because the water is cloudy. Bacteria can consume a lot of O2. We have a huge fountain on our dock that aerates the lake in the summer. At night the seaweed consume a lot of O2. On still days, I think the lake around our dock benefits a lot from the fountain.

@itsfoxtail I think that 65 was an all time low today.  When we left, the sun was pouring in the 3 panel sliding glass door, so I turned the heat down. It took longer than I though so it was twilight when we got back. The wind that blow the clouds away, blow the warmth away later in the day. I have put a heater in the tank and will try to get it set to 72. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 6:42 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@nabokovfan87 All that is providing flow in the tank are 2 air stones and a sponge filter. I added the extra air stone because the water is cloudy. Bacteria can consume a lot of O2. We have a huge fountain on our dock that aerates the lake in the summer. At night the seaweed consume a lot of O2. On still days, I think the lake around our dock benefits a lot from the fountain.

Definitely fine.  The filters also give a really good source of food for them too.  You'll likely see them under and around those sponges.

• Thanks 1

Like @nabokovfan87 said there is a touch of fungus here and there. Nothing to be incredibly worried about but still of note. The 5 darkest ones (three on top and two up and down towards the bottom) look viable and good to go to me. In my experience even if these eggs get some fungus on them, they are far enough along in the process that it will not hinder their growth or whether or not they hatch. They also look extremely close to hatching to me. You can make out the outline and eyeballs pretty easily so I'd honestly say they're due to hatch any day now! The two white ones on the right I think are a no go and I can't quite tell on the two on the left. I'd say they're probably no good but I see a little tiny outline in one so I'd leave it be and see for a little bit after the others hatch anyway.

This is exciting! I didn't see anywhere where you mentioned what type of cories they are? They're bound to be adorable no matter what they are. 

That's exciting! I'd say the others will be very soon to follow then! Any plans on catching/netting them out or are you going to let them grow up amongst the shrimp? 

I must admit I'm quite surprised about the one on the left! I wouldn't have expected it to hatch before the others! I'm wondering if it is going to end up being an albino cory since peppered are the species that throw albinos so often and the egg was so light

• Like 1

@itsfoxtail I was planning to keep them in the shrimp tank. I have scuds in the 55 tank as part of the clean up crew. I think the scuds might go after the fry. All the corys in both tanks are spawning again. I don't know what I will do if a lot of fry live. I don't have that much time to try to rehome them. It is a lot of fun, and they don't multiple like guppies. The local fish shop closed, so it is an hour drive each way to the nearest shop that might take them.

I wish y'all could sit and watch this tank with me. I'm on fry watch. Saw one. Trying to see it again or if I am just imagining it.

Looks like a panda fry. And then I see one panda (I've noticed it before) is clearly a juvenile and is probably 3 months old.

I can't not sit here and wait for the fry....

Time for some repashy.

20230113_223438.JPG

@nabokovfan87 I'm toying with the idea of turning on the under tank lights and watching the fish, or going to bed. it has been a long stressful day here. I should go to bed, but watching the fish might be relaxing, and help me fall asleep.

The shrimp tank has some hard scape and a good bit of cholla wood.  Lots of hiding places. It may be awhile before I see the fry.  bbs will be hatching tomorrow. I think they are 2 big for the cory fry, but the parents might like some. I think the adult shrimp like them too.

• Love 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:52 AM, KittenFishMom said:

2 more seemed to have hatched.  😍

Yay congrats!  

Def keep all the eggs around. Yes, 5 of them look very healthy but don't be fooled!  I've had eggs that look infertile and stick around well past their due date end up hatching.  That's why unless they get fuzzy, I leave them in. Yes, white generally means infertile but I've seen some that I couldn't believe were fertile hatch. 

• Like 1