LED lighting question

Martin

So... sorry if this is a stupid question.  I never bothered to really think about all the available spectrums of light on my tank LEDs as I have always defaulted to the "full blast" white and just tinkered with the brightness level.  Is there a use/purpose to each monochome option apart from "mood lighting"?  I know my 24/7 modes will cycle through some of the colors to replicate various times of day, but is there any biological use/benefit beyond that?

Probably, just getting the “ingredients” right (have you watched the new coop video?) the main two  in plants are chlorophyll A and B so we should really be maximizing the most productive wave lengths, but the other wavelengths still are important, and make your fish look nice 

49CADFD9-D281-4AB9-8043-FBF12BA1D76C.png.655dfd1401e1a01400bb213076d9d72f.png

(applying things you learn in school is fun! The feeling is great, but still *insert expletive* ap bio)

Edited by Aiden Carter
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 12:37 PM, Martin said:

Is there a use/purpose to each monochome option apart from "mood lighting"?  I know my 24/7 modes will cycle through some of the colors to replicate various times of day, but is there any biological use/benefit beyond that?

Depends what you specifically can control.  Lighting can bring out colors in the plants or fish.  If you have more reddish tones, that can accent the tank nicely.  If you have more blue tones then that can accent other colors nicely.  Art theory aside, yes there is some benefit to tuning / adjusting lighting spectrum.  There's a lot smarter people than I that can explain and elaborate on that.  It's also a very interesting topic to dive into when it comes to hydroponics, lighting wavelengths (and their refraction), as well as how plant biology itself uses different spectrums of light (meaning, different light energies / wavelengths along the lighting spectrum).

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/light-3pillars/fine-tuning-light-spectrum

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/light-3pillars/best_light_spectrum

• Thanks 1