Stocking ideas to go with pencilfish and hillstream loaches?

Gannon

I am looking into getting a 29 gallon tank. It was originally bigger, but I couldn't find something else that would fit on the 33.5x20.5 inch stand that would use the space better than a 29 gallon. A 36 gallon bowfront would be better but its way more expensive to get. Probably not worth just a little extra height and not much extra footprint. The original plan was an oddball butterfly fish or something, but a 29 wouldn't be excellent for one so id like to do some other oddballs I've never done yet. The two major ones that came to mind were brown pencilfish and hillstream loaches. I usually like to do fish that originate at least relatively close to one another in tanks, but these two both are something I'm interested in. If anyone has any ideas on other fish to round off a tank with them and make a whole cohesive setup let me know! I've looked at doing stuff like dwarf neon rainbows, maybe a pearl gourami, maybe honey gouramis, etc. But from forum posts I've seen on here usually other people have crazy cool ideas I never considered. Thanks for any fun suggestions! 

On 12/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, Gannon said:

those crayfish wont go after anyone?

Most sources say they are very peaceful. They are also quite small, so they can't do too much damage. I haven't had a chance to keep them yet, so can't say first hand. I've order them though, so I can let you know how that goes sometime in January. 

On 12/31/2022 at 6:28 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

I would do 8-10 Drapefin Barbs. They are very slow going so they would go perfect with pencils. There are also pretty gorgeous and super flashy when in the “mood”.

have any tips on those?

and Im also thinking about an apisto

@Gannon I’ve never kept them. I stumbled across them looking at Dans fish. From the research I’ve done, they seem to like a very laid back aquarium. For the pencil fish, they’d be perfect. I believe an apisto may be a bit much for their vibe and liking. Apparently their whole appeal is in the courting rituals. As with many other species, that’s when you get the best colors and behaviors. 

Not what you asked but I wouldn't keep pencil fishes with hillstream loaches for a number of reasons. First pencil fishes generally like warm calm waters and hillstream loaches generally prefer cool fast flowing water. Can you find a happy medium; well you can find one that works but it would be non-optimal for both species... Other than that most species of pencil fishes are very passive; though coral red males will spare quite a bit.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, Gannon said:

those crayfish wont go after anyone?

I've had the crayfish for a few days and they haven't caused any trouble with my other fish. Even when they are scavenging next to my Bolivian rams roseline sharks or siamese algae eaters, I haven't noticed any agression. They are very cute and active. I'd definitely recommend them if you haven't finished stocking yet.