When you have to walk away from a fishtube video...

PineSong

I just saw LRB's new fishroom tour and I had to put it on pause and walk away, lol. Just seeing that much algae made me feel like I had to scrub things! I may or may not have turned off all my tank lights and hid in the corner for a bit.šŸ˜œ

I appreciate his showing the 'warts and all' of maintaining all those tanks, and it still made me a little nervous thinking about what I would do if I had that many tanks to recover and find balance in:

1) quit my day job

2) learn to eat algae

3) start 'homeschooling' my children but really only teach one subject: tank maintenance

4) make every tank a flagfish tank?

I'll be interested to watch his progress.

• Haha 4

It helps me to remember that some fishtubers donā€™t take care of their tanks after workā€” their tanks ARE their work. So they can experiment more broadly knowing they can take the time to fix anything that gets out of hand, where I have to be more cautious.Ā 

• Like 2

I do, too. I appreciate the laid back approach and maybe thatā€™s because I myself donā€™t make any attempt to keep tanks algae-free or pristine. I want lots of plants but beyond that Iā€™m not super motivated to make things tidy. I just donā€™t have the attention span and donā€™t think my fish would be any better off. But I know my limits and couldnā€™t face that many tanks without fear! Kinda like how my house is definitely ā€œlived inā€ but when I watch an episode of Hoarders I suddenly feel like cleaning!

• Like 1

Ok, I had not watched LRB's tour yet, but had been planning on getting to it.Ā  I'm halfway through it... couple thoughts:

1) I don't hate how the giant algae tanks look, they're not bad.

2) What the heck am I doing wrong, this guy has algae covering everything and/or floating plants blacking out the tanks and his plants seem to be doing just fine.Ā  šŸ˜„Ā Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1