Nocturnal Fish

Anjum

What are your favorite nocturnal fish?

I'm seriously considering getting some kind of nocturnal fish, as lately I'm having this maddeningly persistent problem of waking up at an ungodly hour & tossing & turning for 2 hours until I fall back to sleep. At which time, it's about time to get up anyways. 😒 Maybe if I just got up & went to watch my aquarium, it would make me feel better about being up at that ungodly hour.

I have a strange idea. It won't be all that active and it won't be every night, but this made me think of some times when I woke up and couldn't sleep. I would sometimes fine my female mystery snail laying eggs. Its not common to actually catch them in the act since they do it while we are typically sleeping but it can be fascinating to watch and kinda calming. Not a super exciting suggestion but it's a different one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel like it's all of my fish!?  I have probably 2 dozen videos from the past year of fish behavior at night!

Amanos are a lot of fun. Plecos are usually out doing their thing too.  Grace the shark is just a ton of fun some nights to watch her patrol. Corydoras as always, so much fun when they decide to have a late night party.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

I'm not entirely sure if cories are nocturnal or not but they do tend to be most active in the evening I find. Idk what their sleep schedule is tbh. I see them active both day and night. Maybe they are like cats where they are both active and sleep both day and night. Mine def get rambunctious and spawn in the evening and night hours tho. I think cories maybe just do their own thing and can't be put into a sleeping box lol. They might be a good choice tho. 

• Like 1

Agreed @Cinnebunsmmaybe they are just fish that don't sleep.

My pandas can either be relaxing or swimming around doing up downs and hunting for food. My black corydoras have always been nightowls, but after treating for parasites and worms and all that they are way more active during the day now as well.  (Especially the fry born in my water)

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

I think of my cories as not so much nocturnal, but shy. They tend to not come out when the lights are on, even though I can see them moving about under cover. But when the lights are out (no night lights, I mean like pitch black), they're super active.  Low air pressure and power failures really get them going as well, regardless of whether it's light or dark out. 

When I visit the fish room after lights out, and shine a flashlight at the tank(s) with cories, their eyes are super reflective and really shine back at me. They don't seem bothered by the flashlight, and continue about their busy business. 

• Thanks 1