Whirling Fish Disease?

OnlyGenusCaps

So I have a tank where two fish were exhibiting signs of whirling fish disease: swimming in corkscrew patterns around slowly.  One has died now, and the movements of the other are starting to get more dominated by the same corkscrew motion.

Here is the problem: these are not salmanoid fish, I have had them for longer than 80 days with no new introductions, it is a species only tank, the fish impacted are the oldest not the young ones, and I have fed out no worms to these fish.  So, it can't be this disease, right? 

That said, this is the disease that most fits the symptoms.  Any ideas what else it might be?  And then how to treat whatever it is?

What species of fish is it what are your water parameters have you recently done a water change before you notice the odd swimming pattern do you add a water dechlorinator any other symptoms rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness have you notice any aggression have you been using anything new such as a new dechlorinator or fertilizer or added any medication that they could have had a reaction to and can you post a picture of the fish in question @OnlyGenusCaps

Thanks, @Colu!  Good to get your thoughts on this!  Parameters are:

NH4 - 0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 15

GH - 300

KH - 150

pH - 7.8

Temp - 26C

These are parameters they've been in for months.  It's all been pretty stable.  I haven't done a water change in a couple of weeks.  I'm on well, so not chlorine (backed up by testing).  The fish are generally cool with warm, hard water, so the conditions don't seem suspect.  I did add a few plants from another tank about 3 weeks ago, and it introduced a fairly aggressive hair algae, but I don't think that's the issue. 

I've got another one that is going to be going in a few days.  That said, I'm not in a panic.  These are my problem child species (my Mexican pupfish - which I am embarrassed to admit I am struggling with again).  I lost the first group to a wasting disease, which these came in with as well, but I successfully treated them this time.  And this time, it looks like whirling disease may be an issue.  Given how rare these are and the bottleneck they've gone through, I'm not sure how hardy they are.  That said, others are succeeding with them.  It's just frustrating.  I do love these fish, but they are the only fish I have ever kept I couldn't breed, much less keep alive.  They are becoming my white whale!

Here are some photos of the poor unfortunate.  Notice his color is reduced.  And his lips seems to be gone!  The wound on his side is from the battles with the other tank dominant when they were still fighting over who got what rock.  No fights any more now that his rival is gone.  And he doesn't have any fight in him right now anyhow.

1396755565_pupfishdying2.JPG.a47011403918790c3c0ac871e4186104.JPG

1171787027_pupfishdying3.JPG.927cd4c49215a5501798ad22b3490205.JPG

On 12/15/2022 at 2:02 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Here is the problem: these are not salmanoid fish, I have had them for longer than 80 days with no new introductions, it is a species only tank, the fish impacted are the oldest not the young ones, and I have fed out no worms to these fish.  So, it can't be this disease, right? 

There's a number of different diseases that look just like salmonoid whirling disease but aren't. Sturgeon can get a streptococcus infection that looks very similar. It's affects them more and more with age which might sound like your fish. I can't really help much beyond pointing that out though.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 2:42 PM, modified lung said:

Sturgeon can get a streptococcus infection that looks very similar. It's affects them more and more with age which might sound like your fish.

Thanks!  I got a DM with a suggestion of another bacterial possibility as well, and behaviorally this seems to have neurological hallmarks to it.  I'm going to try treating with antibiotics and see if I can save the younger ones.  The other older one will be getting a clove bath tonight.  I think he's just too far gone.  He doesn't seem to recognize congeners anymore, which for such a feisty species is not a great sign. 

• Like 2

Sorry for late reply I have   been sick  with the receding lips and other behavior i would be leaning towards a bacterial infection  I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such as kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's following this treatment plan or you could do a course of kanaplex in food and treat the tank with jungle fungus clear fizz tab's it's possible the fighting has weaken the immune system of individuals in the tank leaving them susceptible to a bacterial disease @OnlyGenusCaps

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, Colu said:

Sorry for late reply I have   been sick

Please never apologize.  Any input I get from you is something I simply feel appreciative.  I hope you are on the mend!

On 12/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, Colu said:

with the receding lips and other behavior i would be leaning towards a bacterial infection  I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment such as kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's

Perfect!  I have these things on order.  That's 3 votes for this coarse of treatment.  It's settled.  Thanks!

I'll update here as I have outcomes.

• Like 2