Seachem Silicate Test Kit

evonner

On 12/14/2022 at 7:12 PM, evonner said:

I just purchased the Seachem Silicate test kit.  There is one part of the instructions that I don't understand. Comparing to the color chart by viewing "Top to bottom,  not side to side". What does that mean?

Sera tests are the same way.  Take the lid off if there is one and view it "top down".  It's an engineering term for a view orientation.  the API test kits are usually held against the color chart and you're viewing through the side of the glass tube.

top down:
Review: sera aqua-test box - Aquariadise

Side view:
What does 0 ppm ammonia look like on the API test kit readings? :  r/Aquariums

• Thanks 1

Interesting... Thank you for explaining what top to bottom meant.

I'm just curious,  API Master Test Kits color chart is flawed. For example on nitrite 2.0 and 5.0 ppm are the same color, and nitrate 40 and 80 ppm are the same color unless I'm color blind, lol. 

In another forum,  I wrote an article on how to properly read API test results.  I contacted API and asked many questions so that my article would be accurate.  My article was about pulling the test tubes slightly away from the white background and allowing light to penetrate through the test tube and that gives you the correct color. But I never noticed the flaw in the color chart because I have never hit those high levels until now with nitrates and when cycling with ammonia.

So I think I'm going to contact API again and address this flaw on the color chart and see what they have to say.