Substrate drastically increasing pH

Zesul

On 12/17/2022 at 5:34 PM, jwcarlson said:

My water's pH is 8.4 and I have more shrimp than I know what to do with.   But the water is also very hard.

Do you think cherry shrimp would be ok in my current pH level I'm worried they would just die off in my water right now.

On 12/17/2022 at 4:41 PM, Zesul said:

Do you think cherry shrimp would be ok in my current pH level I'm worried they would just die off in my water right now.

I don't feel experienced enough with cherry shrimp (only one year) to know.  But I bought six red ones and I couldn't begin to guess how many there are now in their 37.  Hundreds of them, been limiting feeding so the bigger tetras and betta eat some of the shrimplets.  I have seen them doing just that.  

So, I would wait for someone else who knows more, but mine certainly don't have an issue.  I got some yellows and blues from JettsPapa awhile back and his are thriving just as well and making babies like crazy. 

On 12/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, jwcarlson said:

So, I would wait for someone else who knows more, but mine certainly don't have an issue. 

Thanks so much I'll ask around maybe start a new forum since we figured out the title of this one is wrong since it's not my substrate.

• Like 1

Someone may have mentioned this already I did not read all the responses. A few years ago Eco complete had a run that was causing everyone’s ph to skyrocket. I know the company became aware of it and folks were searching for older bags to purchase or waiting for the new run to come out. I really don’t remember much detail but the ones I bought did skyrocket my ph. I just replaced it in a few tanks because of to many issues. Maybe search google along those lines to see what others said then or contact the company. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with, beginning with Patrick G. and below. You can lower your pH with a ratio of bottled RO or distilled and tap. Just remember that you have to continuously do this and don't lower the pH to much, too fast or you will shock your system. Personally, I think the shrimp would do just fine with a pH of 8.2, which is what I think your readings truly are.

My main concern is are you cycled? If you only started the tank a month ago, you might not even be cycled. How did you cycle this tank? Do you understand the nitrogen cycle?What are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? This step is far most critical. 

Before adding the shrimp,  I would test my cycle first to see if it converts ammonia, nitrites and nitrate properly and quickly. 

For cherry shrimp you want to maintain zero for ammonia and nitrite and nitrates less than 20 ppm. These will kill your shrimp, not the pH. The shrimp will fix your algae problem, so worry less about that.

I'm on well water too and my GH is high, meaning I have hard water. Some people think that being on well water means that they don't have to periodically test it out of their tap and that is just not true.

• Like 2

I just want to point out a thought. This forum is to help others. When Zesul posted this thread, she was concerned about high pH.  She also added a disclaimer that this is her first tank ever.  In her description of her problem I seen no cycling (fish in or fishless) that took place in this tank. Chasing pH is less important than addressing or helping her through or to understand the nitrogen cycle. It appears she will do the fish in cycling with the shrimp she wants to get but does she know what to expect and do? I just don't want to see all her shrimp die because we all failed to realize the basic fundamentals of "First tank ever".  Many of us join this forum and come with our strengths and weaknesses, my strength is the nitrogen cycle. I'm sure that's why I flagged her cycling as a concern. We all know what happens if she fails here and I don't want a newbie to the hobby to have to go through this. So my point is, let's go outside the box when we see members that are new to hobby. 

On 12/17/2022 at 3:39 PM, Guppysnail said:

Someone may have mentioned this already I did not read all the responses. A few years ago Eco complete had a run that was causing everyone’s ph to skyrocket. I know the company became aware of it and folks were searching for older bags to purchase or waiting for the new run to come out. I really don’t remember much detail but the ones I bought did skyrocket my ph. I just replaced it in a few tanks because of to many issues. Maybe search google along those lines to see what others said then or contact the company. 

Very weird.  Good to know though.  That is a poor experience. 😞

I would definitely be contacting them, they should have a batch number or something (if you still happen to have the bags) it might be helpful.

When I first setup my tank I soaked my Seiryu in vinegar to get some of the hardness minerals off of it.  I would take a scoop of substrate and test it.  That would be the best way to remove it or include it as a reason.