Sick/Aging Betta **UPDATE** Pt. 2

EvesFishJourney

Brief synopsis of previously transpired events: My halfmoon betta, Floyd, was lethargic, barely eating, and was losing color drastically. I reached out for advice, and determined he was suffering from fin rot. I quarantined and treated him with erythromycin and stress guard, and at the recommendation of a few forum members, added almond/cattappa leaves for additional antibiotic properties. 
Present day: I am happy to announce that after a full week in quarantine, Floyd has made a full recovery! A few days before he was due to be put back in his home tank, I decided to upgrade him from his normal 5 gallon home, to a 20 gallon retirement tank. His previous 5 gallon house had a filter that was causing very strong flow that was built into the tank and I was not able to remove. I believe it was causing him stress from being pushed around and may have led to him getting fin rot. I did try to buffer the flow using a small piece of filter sponge, but it didn’t do much. While I know his rapid decline was caused by him trying to fight off the infection, he had definitely slowed down in recent months, so I figured it was time to give him a chill place to live out the rest of his life. Floyd currently resides in a 20 gallon (tall?) with a peaceful Aquarium Co-op sponge filter, so no more harsh flow! He has the plants and little rock house from his old tank, and a new log to swim around. I also got him a betta log, so that he has somewhere secure where he can rest near the surface so he can get air when he needs it. I did some research and found out that older food can make fish sick as well (makes sense, old food would make humans sick) so I tossed out his betta pellets that were at least a year old, and got him a small pouch of Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. Its small enough that I’ll finish it in about three months and replace it with a fresh pouch so his food is never going bad. I’ll include some pictures below. Also yes, I know, my current light situation is janky at best! It came from my old 2.5 gallon tank, so its very small for a 20 gal, but I’m saving up for a more appropriate one. And finally, a big thank you to everyone who commented on my original post with any and all advice on how to help my poor boy. There were a few days before I started treatment that I thought I was going to lose Floyd. I know his passing is eventually inevitable, but I wanted to do everything in my power to help him recover, or at least ease any pain he might have been feeling if it were to be his last few days. You folks helped me more than you know, and I am so grateful Floyd is alive and well! Thank you thank you thank you 🥲😊❤️🐟

6C2AA5B2-6EA3-41BC-90FF-D784B0E79867.jpeg

A05736E5-9B46-49E6-BF1C-A3860667ED05.jpeg

C54ABB72-EF8F-4BF5-B2AC-73FCFE33F887.jpeg

0FE94B07-E273-4B89-9321-7F7E112911B9.jpeg

AAFAB240-358A-47E6-B91F-FD2567A947BD.jpeg

7813E794-0886-4C14-9041-B13A4DC47CBE.jpeg

0B4456E6-B6D2-4C70-AD9F-668B11A07527.jpeg

79851A2D-3BF4-4036-87A3-56239FBDAD77.jpeg

Edited by EvesFishJourney
Spelling/grammar
  • Like 1
  • Love 2