Need advice on planted tank

Jamie G.

So this is my second tank I am setting up. My first tank had sand substrate and I used well water and got a massive algae bloom that nuked the tank and killed everything in it because I could not lower it or stop it. This current tank is a 10 gallon tank with gravel substrate. Its about 50 percent planted so far and I am slowly making it a fully planted tank.  I have a co2 canister to install as well as I just got my plant fertilizer and tabs from aquarium co op. My filters a hang on back type and I am waiting the arrival of my new light and glass topper for the tank. I have a mixture of floating plants and planted plants so far though as our local stores get more plants I am adding to that.  What I wonder is.. how often or when should I do a water change of 50 percent after adding live plants and removing fake ones? I do not want to accidently kill my live plants by doing one too soon. I also do not want to stress out my fishes either if I can avoid it. The tank currently houses 1 male betta, 1 rainbow fish, 3 assorted mollies, and a mini rainbow gourumi, as well as a plecostomus that i was given form someone who wanted out of doing fishies. The plecos about 3 1/2 inches long currently. I do think my male betta is possibly dying his tail looks like its been bit on, though I was very careful to choose tank mates that would get along with him. I never see him out eating though I do know hes alive as I see him hiding in the rock formation in the tank a good bit. 

I plan once i get this tank settled in more to reset up a hospital tank as well. My original hospital tank was accidently broken due to me tripping over my dog while cleaning it and dropping it. It was just a small 3 gallon tank that was plastic. I plan to buy a slightly larger glass tank to use for that though and during tax season I plan to upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jamie G. said:

What I wonder is.. how often or when should I do a water change of 50 percent after adding live plants and removing fake ones?

I do once a week, 50%. Some do multiple. If you're having issues with certain types of algae the water change can remove the spores.

The plants you have waiting to arrive, put them in a bucket next to a window potentially until all of them arrive. Then swap them out.

If it were me, I would remove all the fake stuff once the next batch arrives and then add in them whenever they arrive. The fish typically won't be stressed by adding plants. Maintenance shouldn't stress the fish out. Take your time, go slow, they should be fine.

I do think my male betta is possibly dying his tail looks like its been bit on, though I was very careful to choose tank mates that would get along with him.

Look up fin rot. Because of temperature and flow I wouldn't think these species would be compatible with the Betta. Something to look into, potentially QT the Betta right now and reduce the stress.

I plan once i get this tank settled in more to reset up a hospital tank as well. My original hospital tank was accidently broken due to me tripping over my dog while cleaning it and dropping it. It was just a small 3 gallon tank that was plastic. I plan to buy a slightly larger glass tank to use for that though and during tax season I plan to upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank. 

Petco has the sale right now. Should be a great time to go grab the tank if you can. Even a small one.