African Dwarf Frog sitting Out of Water

bettaballistic

I've had this frog for almost a year, it's in a 55 gallon community tank.  I make sure that he gets plenty of food, and nobody picks on him.  I have a lot of Asian water moss and other floating plants, And 3 times now I have caught him completely out of the water sitting on the plants like a normal frog. Is this OK? Is it a sign something's wrong? Or is he just weird? Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates <5

Sorry I've been posting so much I don't have a local fish store to ask things and I don't know anyone else in the aquarium hobby

Here a picture i just got, i shoed him back in20221122_085409.jpg.f9a1cf0c85a19c30976d5b17e3077df4.jpg

On 11/22/2022 at 9:00 AM, Boulder_Betta said:

First off, I just want to congratulate you- a 55 gallon community tank is every frog’s dream home, so great job on that part. When you say that he’s on the plants, is the setup like a paludarium with an intended basking area or is he jumping out?

I just attached a picture, I have a tightly fitted glass lid so there little chance of getting out. The plants are floating but he has plenty of support and space

Our frogs regularly poke their heads out of the water, but don’t get on the floaters. There’s a very friendly African dwarf frog Facebook page where you might get some good advice. I’ve recently started following and I’m finding some great info on ADF care and breeding. 

On 11/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, Patrick_G said:

Our frogs regularly poke their heads out of the water, but don’t get on the floaters. There’s a very friendly African dwarf frog Facebook page where you might get some good advice. I’ve recently started following and I’m finding some great info on ADF care and breeding. 

How do they breed?? Like wild frogs or is there some hidden biological trick?

On 11/22/2022 at 9:40 AM, Patrick_G said:

Thank you, I'll check that out! I'm worried, because every post I see about this the frog dies 🥲

Back before so actually knew what I was doing as a fishjeeper and did 100% water changes with frog removal, I once dropped him but he just hopped along the floor like other frogs do, so I’m guessing that they can survive out of water for brief periods of time, but I’m not positive. What’s your secret to getting such healthy floating plants though?

On 11/22/2022 at 1:00 AM, bettaballistic said:

I've had this frog for almost a year, it's in a 55 gallon community tank.  I make sure that he gets plenty of food, and nobody picks on him.  I have a lot of Asian water moss and other floating plants, And 3 times now I have caught him completely out of the water sitting on the plants like a normal frog. Is this OK? Is it a sign something's wrong? Or is he just weird? Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates <5

Sorry I've been posting so much I don't have a local fish store to ask things and I don't know anyone else in the aquarium hobby

My understanding is that this can be quite normal behaviour.  They can just float a the top for periods of time with the arms and legs stretched out.  They are just relaxing/being lazy. 

There could be other reasons, however, such as bloating --which can be food related or, sadly, disease-related. Does it look okay physically? Things to look for are the eyes (should be clear and not puffy), reddish-pink patches on skin, white fuzzy patches, etc.  Is it eating normally? Has it experienced weight loss?

On 11/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

How do they breed?? Like wild frogs or is there some hidden biological trick?

The African dwarf frog, is very “boring” when it comes to breeding, the trypical male calls female (we only hear a buzzing) they mate which looks like the male holding the pelvic region

Although pipa parva (dwarf pipa toad, closely related to Surinam toads, and adf/acf as they are in the order pipadea) breeds similar to the pipa toad the females eggs get laid in their back, but instead of the tadpoles metamorphosisising in their back, they emerge as tadpoles, as it is too taxing for the female if they were to reach final metamorphosis stage (also @Cory had some, he couldn’t breed them, took them to the store to sell them; and then get this…

they started breeding !!!😂)

On 11/22/2022 at 12:07 PM, Boulder_Betta said:

Back before so actually knew what I was doing as a fishjeeper and did 100% water changes with frog removal, I once dropped him but he just hopped along the floor like other frogs do, so I’m guessing that they can survive out of water for brief periods of time, but I’m not positive. What’s your secret to getting such healthy floating plants though?

Sadly one day I was at school and my parents found my only male adf on the ground next to my closet, he jumped out of a hole 1cm wide! 

I’ll take you on his journeyimage.jpg.a283b91cb4d5f0a9a7bb70031da05f24.jpg

About the size of the crack (I didn’t cut the notch out until that day, because of what happened)image.jpg.a8ccd99b5a8e41aba446e1124491c3f7.jpg

some how escaped down there

image.jpg.0d8b2b8a633a06adf44038a1fc126af1.jpg

went from the tank (closest area to me) to the closest in the other side of the room) 

I was very sad and the worst part is I couldn’t do anything all day because I was in school (I think that day may have been a half day though)

On 11/22/2022 at 11:12 AM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

My understanding is that this can be quite normal behaviour.  They can just float a the top for periods of time with the arms and legs stretched out.  They are just relaxing/being lazy. 

There could be other reasons, however, such as bloating --which can be food related or, sadly, disease-related. Does it look okay physically? Things to look for are the eyes (should be clear and not puffy), reddish-pink patches on skin, white fuzzy patches, etc.  Is it eating normally? Has it experienced weight loss?

Today is the 1st time I've gotten a good look at him in a while. He's still eating but he does look a little bloated. His back is out of the water and struggles to get below the surface. I know something is wrong what am I supposed to do about it I want to save him

On 11/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

@bettaballistic It's hard to say.  If it is bloating, it can be caused by food, ingestion of gravel, etc. ADFs are also subject to such conditions as dropsy.  I have some experience with them, but perhaps someone in the forum has more.

What do you feed it by the way?

I think I figured out the problem, the aquarium hes in use to have really hard water. But it doesn't have anymore. I've found a few places that African dwarf frogs can start to blot after a while of being in water that's too soft. I don't have a way to fix this for him and hes in really rough shape, I don't think that hes savable.  I'm way more sad than I've ever been to lose a fish. But I just don't have the right water parameters for him anymore and I don't have room for another tank.

Probably doesn't matter at this point, but I feed a mix of fresh frozen food, freeze dried blood worms, and occasionally bug bites community pellets

On 11/22/2022 at 10:07 AM, Boulder_Betta said:

I don't think my frogs gonna make it. Hes in really rough shape I think I have incorrect water parameters, because I recently changed them. But not recent enough for this to be shock, I acclamated very well. 

But anyway my plants, I just choose really Hardy ones. And then I use Seachem flourish fertilizer about once a week.  I also use straws to section off my water , so that there is no surface disturbance.