Tidal 75 filter sucking up duckweed and making noises

Caidenh24

I bought a seachem tidal 75 filter and the surface skimmer sucks up duckweed and stops it from working like every 5 mins. Anyone have any ideas to make this stop? My airline tubing sinks so  I don't think it will work as a divider I have these things that the airline tubing goes into so it can hook onto the glass. The tubing sinks around the ends of the tuning not in the middle. Also the filter is making a slurping sound. like the sound of aquaclear filters starting. But it is already going. Also I move the duckweed out of the way and it still does it. It is off and on for when it does it so something is causing it but I don't know what? Has this happened to anyone? does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks!

Edited by Caidenh24

You can keep the water below the skimmer inlet and it's above the min fill line.  That's one way to handle it.

Option 2:

Option 3: Foam internally.  You remove the blue locking tab, then you can lift off the blue knob and chute cover.  Then you should be able to slide in something to stop the duckweed and allow the water to pass inside.

This video gives you an idea how to disassemble things.  Let me know if you need anything.

People also use quilting mesh, airline hoses to make barriers.  That's another way to handle it.  Check out etsy for some of those things too.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 11/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, Never stop learning said:

I believe the tidal filters have a way to control the flow of the skimmer it's self without restricting flow to the rest of the filter.  If it does I would try turning the water flow of the skimmer  down/off and run it that way.

It does but it is still making a slurping sound not from the duckweed being in the way because I move the duckweed and it still does it.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

You can adjust it so that the skimmer draws less and the main intake draws more. I’m not sure if that would completely solve the problem but it’s worth a try. 

It still sucks it up. Also it is making another sound that is almost like a slurping sound. I can't tell which part of the filter it is from though. I move the duckweed and it still makes the sound. So I don't think it is that. Also the noise stops like a weird times for a little bit then it starts again. I am not sure what is causing it but something is. Thanks!

On 11/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, Never stop learning said:

I believe the tidal filters have a way to control the flow of the skimmer it's self without restricting flow to the rest of the filter.  If it does I would try turning the water flow of the skimmer  down/off and run it that way.

Flow adjustment is on the pump, but the actual intake is always going to be 75-90% from the skimmer just due to the design. The intake tube at the base has a half circle cutout which means it's already starting half covered. The rest of the intake is from the pump housing cover itself that had a grill all along.the bottom section and cutouts along the sides. (The gaps on the bottom amount to the surface area of just over half the skimmer. The intake tube is about half of a small coin. The skimmer is a large gap and long opening that constantly feeds water to the pump.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:48 PM, Caidenh24 said:

It still sucks it up. Also it is making another sound that is almost like a slurping sound. I can't tell which part of the filter it is from though. I move the duckweed and it still makes the sound. So I don't think it is that. Also the noise stops like a weird times for a little bit then it starts again. I am not sure what is causing it but something is. Thanks!

Usually that "other sound" is from water level or something on the impeller. Have you taken the pump apart to clean it before?

On 11/21/2022 at 10:46 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Flow adjustment is on the pump, but the actual intake is always going to be 75-90% from the skimmer just due to the design. The intake tube at the base has a half circle cutout which means it's already starting half covered. The rest of the intake is from the pump housing cover itself that had a grill all along.the bottom section and cutouts along the sides. (The gaps on the bottom amount to the surface area of just over half the skimmer. The intake tube is about half of a small coin. The skimmer is a large gap and long opening that constantly feeds water to the pump.

Usually that "other sound" is from water level or something on the impeller. Have you taken the pump apart to clean it before?

The pump is brand new so I haven't thought to clean it. Maybe I will try filling up the tank like a inch more to see if that does anything. I don't think the filter is broken I just need to do something that I am not doing. Does the filter need to break in? Thanks!

On 11/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, Caidenh24 said:

The pump is brand new so I haven't thought to clean it. Maybe I will try filling up the tank like a inch more to see if that does anything. I don't think the filter is broken I just need to do something that I am not doing. Does the filter need to break in? Thanks!

Yeah, once you hear noise like that, check the impeller.  If the waterline is near midway on the skimmer or just under/above the output ramp, I usually don't even hear the water hit the tank.

No break in at all, it should run SILENT.  If you have duckweek, easiest thing to do is use something to try to keep it out of the skimmer.  You're going to have plants in the skimmer because these things are just that beefy and they will suck in plants.

you can do the same thing with airline.

There is also a lot beefier versions on etsy, but this gives you the general idea.  With duckweed you're going to want some height.

il_794xN.3592403190_cnkb.jpg.baf9d880b6179505854fc8bb2320b285.jpgil_794xN.2662540987_1t4o.jpg.93ebb3247fa3e615df626e4f49eac2d0.jpg

On 11/21/2022 at 11:38 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, once you hear noise like that, check the impeller.  If the waterline is near midway on the skimmer or just under/above the output ramp, I usually don't even hear the water hit the tank.

No break in at all, it should run SILENT.  If you have duckweek, easiest thing to do is use something to try to keep it out of the skimmer.  You're going to have plants in the skimmer because these things are just that beefy and they will suck in plants.

you can do the same thing with airline.

There is also a lot beefier versions on etsy, but this gives you the general idea.  With duckweed you're going to want some height.

il_794xN.3592403190_cnkb.jpg.baf9d880b6179505854fc8bb2320b285.jpgil_794xN.2662540987_1t4o.jpg.93ebb3247fa3e615df626e4f49eac2d0.jpg

Yeah I have the beefier one and the airline tubing sinks. I need to ask the seller why it is happening.

I will try filling up my tank all the way tomorrow. Thanks!

Edited by Caidenh24

On 11/21/2022 at 11:52 PM, Caidenh24 said:

Yeah I have the beefier one and the airline tubing sinks. I need to ask the seller why it is happening.

I will try filling up my tank all the way tomorrow. Thanks!

Send photos. I can probably clarify everything if you have a question.  I have them on hand and take them apart almost daily at this point.  I've been testing fixes for this issue for about 2-3 years with notes for the past year or so on that experiments thread.

I lost a tank of fish to the skimmer so it's been an issue, personally for me. 😞

Duckweed is very small, won't have an issue getting into the pump. Clean the pump, let us know how it's doing.

On 11/21/2022 at 11:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Send photos. I can probably clarify everything if you have a question.  I have them on hand and take them apart almost daily at this point.  I've been testing fixes for this issue for about 2-3 years with notes for the past year or so on that experiments thread.

I lost a tank of fish to the skimmer so it's been an issue, personally for me. 😞

Duckweed is very small, won't have an issue getting into the pump. Clean the pump, let us know how it's doing.

Ok Thanks. It is late for me so I will do it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

On 11/22/2022 at 6:58 PM, Caidenh24 said:

Here is a link to a video explaining my problems. 

Yeah, probably just full of water. You can use styrafoam or other things to keep the duckweed out.  Your issue is the water level is about 2" too short. It's going to make nose, BUT there's a minimum, stay above that.

Do me a huge favor please. 

First, take the filter off, media bag just goes into the tank to stay wet, just clean the sponge and all the filtration stuff from any duckweed. 

You have a few things going on here... let me grab some photos to show you.
image.png.156c13f741321c59d9d1f74a61410397.png

If you don't want duckweed in the pump, like I said you can run it below the skimmer, but above the min.  That's where it is now.  This should keep it generally quiet, but you will hear the pump slightly more.

SO....

Please take the filter, the whole thing to a sink or front yard or something.  Take it apart so you can rinse out the skimmer, the filter housing (filter "box") and the pump itself. 

you need to:

Squirt water down this opening (where this guy is pointing) so that you can get all the debris that went into the skimmer, out.
image.png.5b2da052dee5aa378d44c3ae52f51547.png

This is the pump housing, it's what comes off to reveal the pump.  This is where you're going to find duckweed.  THEN. you do the same thing, take the impeller off the pump (I use a small flathead to get the tab open, just be gentle) and then you'll rotate the impeller one direction to unlock it and then pull the impeller off and rinse that out.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022536073-FAQ-How-do-I-remove-the-impeller-of-the-Tidal-75-and-Tidal-110-filters-

image.png.fb70fe03409e0026bde29d4e02667612.png

Here is what you're probably going to find, but instead of BBA, you're going to have duckweed.
20220805_152351.JPG.f542de2618be4e6d1c8f1512f5059c8b.JPG20220805_152424.JPG.fa284916b713d3b1862b97411fb49497.JPG

If you need help taking anything apart, just let me know.

Whatever that wave is on the pump housing, that is your minimum.  For the tidal 75 it might be slightly higher, which means you just need it to be above that wavey line.

You can take your airline and try to glue some mesh to it like this.  The only way you're going to stop duckweed is to get something that goes out of the water.

Prevent duckweed from clogging filter intake? - General Discussion -  C.A.R.E.

Foam would also work.  Run the airline through the foam.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 11/22/2022 at 7:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, probably just full of water. You can use styrafoam or other things to keep the duckweed out.  Your issue is the water level is about 2" too short. It's going to make nose, BUT there's a minimum, stay above that.

Do me a huge favor please. 

First, take the filter off, media bag just goes into the tank to stay wet, just clean the sponge and all the filtration stuff from any duckweed. 

You have a few things going on here... let me grab some photos to show you.
image.png.156c13f741321c59d9d1f74a61410397.png

If you don't want duckweed in the pump, like I said you can run it below the skimmer, but above the min.  That's where it is now.  This should keep it generally quiet, but you will hear the pump slightly more.

SO....

Please take the filter, the whole thing to a sink or front yard or something.  Take it apart so you can rinse out the skimmer, the filter housing (filter "box") and the pump itself. 

you need to:

Squirt water down this opening (where this guy is pointing) so that you can get all the debris that went into the skimmer, out.
image.png.5b2da052dee5aa378d44c3ae52f51547.png

This is the pump housing, it's what comes off to reveal the pump.  This is where you're going to find duckweed.  THEN. you do the same thing, take the impeller off the pump (I use a small flathead to get the tab open, just be gentle) and then you'll rotate the impeller one direction to unlock it and then pull the impeller off and rinse that out.

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022536073-FAQ-How-do-I-remove-the-impeller-of-the-Tidal-75-and-Tidal-110-filters-

image.png.fb70fe03409e0026bde29d4e02667612.png

Here is what you're probably going to find, but instead of BBA, you're going to have duckweed.
20220805_152351.JPG.f542de2618be4e6d1c8f1512f5059c8b.JPG20220805_152424.JPG.fa284916b713d3b1862b97411fb49497.JPG

If you need help taking anything apart, just let me know.

Whatever that wave is on the pump housing, that is your minimum.  For the tidal 75 it might be slightly higher, which means you just need it to be above that wavey line.

You can take your airline and try to glue some mesh to it like this.  The only way you're going to stop duckweed is to get something that goes out of the water.

Prevent duckweed from clogging filter intake? - General Discussion -  C.A.R.E.

Foam would also work.  Run the airline through the foam.

OK thanks I will try cleaning it and see how it works. I will post back soon.

• Thanks 1

This is currently my skimmer.  Filled with silicone. 
20220601_233641.JPG.c2686d7ae8849b4e3ed9e666fd030f97.JPG

Thread is linked above, I'll re-link it here, but you can see all the details and how to do this.  Sealing the skimmer itself is very easy and you don't have to do any other mods. 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:36 PM, Caidenh24 said:

how do you take off the part to access the motor. I feel like I am going to break it pulling it off. Thanks!

On the right side you gently push in the section to the right of the skimmer, then the pump housing usually releases.  Let me grab a photo.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:37 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is currently my skimmer.  Filled with silicone. 
20220601_233641.JPG.c2686d7ae8849b4e3ed9e666fd030f97.JPG

Thread is linked above, I'll re-link it here, but you can see all the details and how to do this.  Sealing the skimmer itself is very easy and you don't have to do any other mods. 

On the right side you gently push in the section to the right of the skimmer, then the pump housing usually releases.  Let me grab a photo.

Yeah that would help I see the side things but the never push in so a photo would help. I usually just pull real but I feel I will break it if I keep doing it that way. Thanks!

On 11/22/2022 at 8:46 PM, Caidenh24 said:

Oh I see I always push in the thing with the ridges. Let me try it real quick thanks!

I tried it. It was heaps easier. Now let me try to clean everything. Should I fill up my tank more before turning it on again to test? Thanks!

• Thanks 1