33G long or 30G breeder… the good, the bad, and the ugly

NofishB4

So my friend’s 13 year old son got a 20G high aquarium for his birthday 4 months ago. We set it all up, planted it, seeded it with bacteria from my established tanks. He got neons, espei rasboras, 3 honeys and 5 panda cories.  Fast forward several months and everybody is doing awesome. Plants have grown a ton, fish are doing amazin. Parameters are 0-0-10 on water change day.  His parents have agreed to let him get a bigger tank if he uses everything from his old tank (I have a plant light for him).

He would like to up his current schools and get a bristlenose and khuli loaches. 

He is looking at the 33long (48x12x12) to give his fish ultimate swimming space. But the seller also has a 30G breeder (36x12x15). 

Which would be better??  Would you take extra length or extra height?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, NofishB4 said:

He is looking at the 33long (48x12x12) to give his fish ultimate swimming space. But the seller also has a 30G breeder (36x12x15). 

Which would be better??  Would you take extra length or extra height?

There is a new 60G I guess that is similar but might give you better dimensions.  Honestly, I would try to get a 75G or something that fits on a 75G stand.

Aqueon Rectangle Aquarium 60 Breeder Tank, 48.5" L X 18.5" W X 16.25" H

A 75G is the same footprint, but 21" high.

The big difference being 12" vs. 18.5" deep gives you a much bigger feeling tank.  I highly recommend 4' tank by 18.5" deep.  It's such a nice spacing for the tank itself to work in.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:14 PM, NofishB4 said:

Unfortunately space limits the tank to 12” deep. It’s in a kid sized bedroom. They really like my 55 but don’t want to go that big one the second floor

Ah I see.

Well, depending what is available these are the 30's I see.
image.png.4e961091f1e87c31a6b78ea5450c6cb5.png

If you can, a 30 Breeder would work and give you that depth, but I totally understand the size limitations.  I would go for the 33 Long at that point. it's an extra ~40lbs in terms of weight.

• Like 1

I actually don’t think there is a wrong choice here. Both tanks have good dimensions and they can do a lot with either tank. Personally, if there is no specific need for a taller tank I would go with the 33 Long. Longer tanks just look bigger in my opinion. I have no doubt they’ll be happy with either tank though.

Thank you all so much. I did contact the seller and the 30 breeder is 36x18x12.  So it is wider. While I agree with many of you that that would add dimension to the tank I’m not sure it will work in C’s bedroom. I’ll get his mom to measure their stand dimensions (they already have one that held a 55 that cracked from another friend). 

Nabokovfan87 thanks so much for your chart!  It was extremely helpful. Good to know about the weight!