HELP! I dunno what to do!!!!

here fishyfishy

I set up a tank about 6 weeks ago. I put 5 fish and 5 plants.  The tank cycled, I put a piece of mopani wood in it, didn't like it, removed it, and started super cleaning my tank to get all the brown out, now I crashed my cycle, so bad I have to remove my fish, how to I fix this?? I put quick start, stress zyme, and holding. Tank is a ten gallon hang on back filter with carbon standard filter. Anyone know how to quick cycle please advise. #fishfirst #fishmustlive

#i❤my fishes

#sos

Thanks anyone that can advise

Just stop doing stuff. Leave the tank alone. Put the fish back in the tank and just leave it alone. I know it's tough. I like to tweak and tinker with things. But you have to leave this tank alone so it can settle. If you don't, you will have endless problems. I have found in my experience that "benign neglect" is a useful thing.....

• Like 1

Thanks so much but my nitrites are topping out of the chart, I'm really afraid to put them in. The tank is clear, I've added bacteria that I won't think will harm them but the levels havent went down in hours. Its registering over 5.0 ppm for nitrite. I just don't wanna wake to dead fish.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it more than you know. The fish I have are bettas, female sorority. They have done well until I started messing with stuff ex wood 

less is more, especially with a newer not matured tank. for future reference, if this was to happen in the future again, i would suggest remove the wood along with a small water change. wait a few more days then do another small water change, etc. the newer the tank, and the smaller the tank=the less you can get away with when changing things.

Thanks a bunch! I went ahead and put em back in. Gonna hawk eye them for the next 24-48. If they start acting up ill pull em back out. Since they can breath from the top that eases my mind a little and I will definately take this wisdom in the future. Prolly be a future without wood for a little while. Until I feel brave enough. Thanks for the response, it helps so much knowing there's someone out there that'll help with knowledge 🙂

Thx again

Dawn

On 11/18/2022 at 8:27 PM, here fishyfishy said:

Thanks a bunch! I went ahead and put em back in. Gonna hawk eye them for the next 24-48. If they start acting up ill pull em back out. Since they can breath from the top that eases my mind a little and I will definately take this wisdom in the future. Prolly be a future without wood for a little while. Until I feel brave enough. Thanks for the response, it helps so much knowing there's someone out there that'll help with knowledge 🙂

Thx again

Dawn

have no fear, whatever you might do with a fish tank, right or wrong, someone here has done it before. we've all had stumbles along the way.

• Like 1