SBD Kubotai

Lauren A

Hi,

One of my Microdevario Kubotai/green Neon Rasbora has a swim bladder problem.  She’s not inflated or bloated, she actually looks very thin and flat and long.  This all started last night.  She’s been spending most of her time at the bottom of the tank.  Rolling onto her back and trying so hard to right herself.  I feel so bad.

All of the other fish look fine.  I think she was probably overfed.  They’ve had a new steady supply of springtails being pushed into the water by the filter.  They’ve been snacking on them and this is a “new” thing.  I think with the cold weather outdoors, more springtails have taken up residence in my tanks on my floaters.  

I’d like to alleviate her symptoms if there is anything I can do.  I know epsom salt is recommended with bettas and SBD but she is not bloated and actually looks the opposite, so I’m not sure that’s the right call.  I did see on a YouTube video someone recommended dropping the water level down to reduce pressure in the tank.

Im just curious if anyone has any ideas or thoughts how I can help her.  Thanks so much.

Edited by Lauren A

On 11/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

very sorry for your loss 😞

Thank you very much.  It’s been a tough week with them.  I won’t get into it too much - but one jumped while I was cleaning the outside glass about a week ago.  It always makes them a little skittish and I’d just finished cleaning the tank and didn’t not have my jump guard on and he jumped and died instantly.  Another I found a few mornings ago wedged behind the filter intake sponge on my Fluval HOB.  I am now not sure if he fell sick as well and was swept up and ended up stuck to it or if it was yet another freak accident.  I pray the tank isn’t sick.  I appreciate your condolences.  Sorry for the long message.  🙏🙏

On 11/18/2022 at 6:46 PM, glenn anthony said:

My condolences once again...

they are a awesome nano fish alot grighter than, say a green neon tetra, actually first time i saw some all colored up thought they were glo-fish for a moment, at the time I had never seen them.

wishin' the best for any you still have

Hi, thank you again so much.  I feel like I’m losing my mind with this.  We’ll see what tomorrow brings.  I’m hoping it’s an isolated incident.  I feel bad their number went from 10 to 7 over days.  They’ve been grouped real tight so I’m thinking they are stressed and feeling vulnerable.  I will buy more but the newbies will have to QT a month.  SOO, just stinks.  I’m glad she’s no longer suffering.  I think she was a she.

Sorry for the long message although I know you don’t mind.  🙏🙏. Take care chat soon   

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:03 PM, Lauren A said:

Thank you very much.  It’s been a tough week with them.  I won’t get into it too much - but one jumped while I was cleaning the outside glass about a week ago.  It always makes them a little skittish and I’d just finished cleaning the tank and didn’t not have my jump guard on and he jumped and died instantly.  Another I found a few mornings ago wedged behind the filter intake sponge on my Fluval HOB.  I am now not sure if he fell sick as well and was swept up and ended up stuck to it or if it was yet another freak accident.  I pray the tank isn’t sick.  I appreciate your condolences.  Sorry for the long message.  🙏🙏

Sometimes that can be an indication of PH issues (or low oxygen.  If you need to add an airstone and then just verify PH.  Best of luck in the future with the fish.  You'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 7:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sometimes that can be an indication of PH issues (or low oxygen.  If you need to add an airstone and then just verify PH.  Best of luck in the future with the fish.  You'll get there.

Hi,

Ok thank you so much.

I believe the tank could be infected with Fish TB.  It’s only a guess but I lost 3 of my Kubotai over a matter of days.  And the first jumped, so 4 in all.  I’ve been so upset over this.  I feel so bad because it’s only the 6 of them now in the tank - it’s 10 gallons and only tank mates are snails.  They seem fine, but I realized I lost all males so now it’s 5 females and 1 male.  It really stinks because I can’t add more now in case the tank is infected.  And I really don’t know how I’d figure out if it’s infected.  Luckily they are all doing great.  They were stressed and holding tight with each other for about a week but now they are acting normal.  

I have two filters, one is the Fluval Aquaclear 20 and a Dennerle Eck corner filter, so I think I’m going to move the corner filter to the opposite side of the tank to increase movement and add a bubbler.  My ph stays stable and I have  soft water that stays consistent.   My tap has a Hydroviv filter to remove contaminate and PFAS specifically.  I will go ahead and increase the oxygenation.  

If anyone has experience with Fish TB, I’m open to learning more about your experiences.  It must have come in on plants I did not sanitize beforehand.  Unfortunately I also move floaters from one tank to another so I’m praying my bettas don’t fall ill.  I do keep and always have kept equipment separate so at least I have that on my side.  And I wear gloves.  

I am extremely diligent with my maintenance schedule as well so it shouldn’t be water quality.  Sorry to go on and on, it’s just stressful.  

On 12/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, Lauren A said:

I believe the tank could be infected with Fish TB.  It’s only a guess but I lost 3 of my Kubotai over a matter of days.  And the first jumped, so 4 in all.  I’ve been so upset over this.  I feel so bad because it’s only the 6 of them now in the tank - it’s 10 gallons and only tank mates are snails.  They seem fine, but I realized I lost all males so now it’s 5 females and 1 male.  It really stinks because I can’t add more now in case the tank is infected.  And I really don’t know how I’d figure out if it’s infected.  Luckily they are all doing great.  They were stressed and holding tight with each other for about a week but now they are acting normal.

What symptoms are you seeing that is giving you that feeling?  Photos of stuff would help if you're trying to figure out what's going on. 

On 12/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, Lauren A said:

If anyone has experience with Fish TB, I’m open to learning more about your experiences.  It must have come in on plants I did not sanitize beforehand.  Unfortunately I also move floaters from one tank to another so I’m praying my bettas don’t fall ill.  I do keep and always have kept equipment separate so at least I have that on my side.  And I wear gloves.  

I am extremely diligent with my maintenance schedule as well so it shouldn’t be water quality.  Sorry to go on and on, it’s just stressful.  

I don't know that the plants will carry that if the plants were shipped.  I can't say it will or won't, I am just saying I don't think it would.  I understand it's stressful.  One step at a time. Let's look at what is going on and figure out what needs to be done.  The biggest thing that helps us is trying to understand what you're seeing, to understand tank maintenance, water conditions, etc.