Potential Fin Rot / Body rot: Need help with ID

nabokovfan87

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately one of my tanks is showing a potential fin rot which may be on the edge or have reached the form of body rot.  It's hard to tell, but I really don't like the way the fish is looking in terms of it's status.  I did see some pretty severe red blotches on the fin rays (tail, 3 of them).  I have seen those alter there color, but I'm not seeing them fully healed yet.  I understand it takes time, but I want to help ID what's going on and make sure I'm taking the appropriate steps here.

• pH - 6.5-6.7
  • Nitrates - 10
  • Hardness - 300+
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Ammonia - 0
  • KH/Buffer - 50
  • Water Temperature: 71-72 (200W heater set at 73 degrees, cooler in the morning, tank is next to a window)

20221118_102505.jpg.fd095313dac2ab3a7d33a541cd2cf302.jpg20221118_102509.jpg.bcb5d95a2d7617359b813f491cc5390e.jpg20221118_102513.jpg.dffec68e2d00ad36222ca934142ff189.jpg

I am currently treating with Salt, Ich-X, and Kanaplex.  I am on first round of treatment with Kanaplex (dose 2).  I started with a dose of Salt, Ich-X, Erythromycin because that is what I had at the time while I waited for kanaplex meds to arrive.  I am going to do another 50% WC when the time is correct to do so and then redose everything again (kanaplex as opposed to erythromycin).

All other fish in the tank look ok.  There might be some internal worms, but I am not treating those at this point in time right now.  I am monitoring it to verify (white stringy poop). 

Tank has about 10 swordtails, 14-16 panda corydoras, and a RTBS.

On 11/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, Minanora said:

I treated these fish with a full course of parazi pro before I let them leave, and paracleanse before that. I'm sorry you're having issues with them. 😔

you're fine!  I am guessing most of this was triggered by my own issues and nothing you did!  I am just trying to be very cautious because I don't want it to spread to the other tank.  This tank very well could be fine and it's just damage from aggression.  It's hard for me to say, that's why I am trying to get opinions.  PH swings could also be a major factor if we're talking it was just split fins from shipping or something.  The male could be chasing this one (she dropped fry after arriving).  Who knows....

I think she's recovering, so it's just making sure I'm doing what I need to as well 🙂 .

On the doses of prazi and paracleanse (same stuff I think, similar enough at least) was it two treatments in total?  Honestly, I think it's just the color of the food I'm feeding and normal.  Just eats a lot (it's the big suprise male one)

On 11/18/2022 at 10:59 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Platies often prefer high PH of around 7-7.5

I'll increase it slowly.  Thank you 🙂

Looks like a bad case of fin rot if it starts to turn into  body rot then I would treat with kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's following this treatment plan I would only do that if your not seeing any improvement after a full course of kanaplex and salt I don't think ick x would be beneficial I would just go with salt and kanaplex for now

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:03 PM, Colu said:

Looks like a bad case of fin rot if it starts to turn into  body rot then I would treat with kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's following this treatment plan I would only do that if your not seeing any improvement after a full course of kanaplex and salt I don't think ick x would be beneficial I would just go with salt and kanaplex for now

Appreciate it.  Do you think it's on the edge of starting body rot or not yet?

I went ahead and re-verified the PH/KH on both tanks.  One tank was at 60 and was right around 7.0 (males) while the other was at 50 KH and slightly less PH.  I went ahead and added a smidge more of the Alkalinity buffer to even them out and then I'll go ahead and keep a much better eye on PH for the fish.  anything between 7.0-7.4 is tolerable, my tap comes out at 6.8 (after off-gas) but PH drops are an issue due to very low buffer.

On 11/19/2022 at 2:40 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I went ahead and re-verified the PH/KH on both tanks.  One tank was at 60 and was right around 7.0 (males) while the other was at 50 KH and slightly less PH.  I went ahead and added a smidge more of the Alkalinity buffer to even them out and then I'll go ahead and keep a much better eye on PH for the fish.  anything between 7.0-7.4 is tolerable, my tap comes out at 6.8 (after off-gas) but PH drops are an issue due to very low buffer.

You could add some crushed to your filter to increase your KH 

• Like 1

Final dose of meds in for the first treatment.  I'll keep an eye on the fish tonight and try to get some updated photos to view the change.  I am going to give it a few days, let the fish rest if need be after a big WC and then decide if I need to go into round 2.

I replaced the lid on the aquarium and temps are more stable now.  I have towels on gaps to keep the warm humid air inside and the glass itself is slightly thicker.   I also added a bolbitis plant (spelled correctly this time) and hopefully that gives some reduced stress as well for the tank.    It was from the big box store, kind of short, but I really do like this plant.   It came in two bunches with 3-5 stems wrapped up and 2 "bunches" which was cool.

20221120_141001.jpg.20f61a0326bdb768826f1173a1ed27ee.jpg20221120_141035.jpg.5ba5a7be0cb10912176eb8c10c3a710e.jpg20221120_141042.jpg.d5bfed98da9eb400d9739dee152416f9.jpg

Edited by nabokovfan87
Added Photos

I had dosed everything today. (Note to self it was about 4 PM)

I'm officially out of salt : 😟

I am seeing a bit of the upper part of the tail regrow. The lower section where it was slightly worse still looks a bit cloudy (not really fuzz, but still has some off color to it).  I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully this clears the final push for the tank.

I recorded an update video.  redness looks better, but the frayed edge looks worse to me.

Thoughts?

Also of note, one of the fry keeps pecking at the fish right near the dorsal.  You can see the clamped dorsal and she is generally just not having an easy time getting around while getting pecked at.  I am trying to get a 5-10g tank from petco so I can move her for the time being and let her recover a lot easier.

Screenshot_20221127-161247.png.43da787a658ed5b1f8db85eabdbc4c8d.pngScreenshot_20221127-161239.png.fc13b7307c4e0129a07e6ba45db5b805.png

It looks the same to me I can't see any further deterioration of the tail fin the clamped dorsal fin Could be due to stress it's possible the fry is pecking at the slim coat I think it would be best to quarantine her and continue with salt you could also add some Indian almond leaves as well as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, Colu said:

It looks the same to me I can't see any further deterioration of the tail fin the clamped dorsal fin Could be due to stress it's possible the fry is pecking at the slim coat I think it would be best to quarantine her and continue with salt you could also add some Indian almond leaves as well as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

My plan was to move her by herself, clean water. Some peace and just see how she does.

That is basically what you recommend? The only thing I could think was the fry was a male, it isn't, but it's just always been doing that. I don't know why they seem to pick on this female.

Working on getting more salt and just going to hope to see improvement. Would you expect the white edge on the fin to improve already or not yet?

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 11/28/2022 at 2:06 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Would you expect the white edge on the fin to improve already or not yet?

Usually the white tissue is a sign of regrowth I think your on the right track it will take up to two week for the fin to fully regrow in a low stress environment with stable water parameters 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to put the pups to bed and then go stare at the tank for a little while before bed while I feed the fish a late night meal.

Question, in another thread it was mentioned for columnaris to wait 5 weeks minimum to ensure the tank was empty and didn't have any fish to host off and that it would die off that way as a for sure thing.

For this stuff I was dealing with, It's also gram negative and so I wonder how long I should wait before moving that male out of the tank.  Any thoughts, or is this different because I ran the meds through the entire tank?

On 12/1/2022 at 11:48 PM, Minanora said:

Because you're moving the male that was in with the females into the male tank.... That's a good question.

Once I release the fry he'll probably go into the breeder box or something. Idk. I worry about cross contamination. I have another one but it's not as big. Heater arrives tomorrow to setup the QT station for the female with low stress.

Yeah. I'm paranoid about stuff like that these days. After infecting the plaza with mts I'm being super careful. I need to keep my snails under control. Happy to say that nobody else that came from my son's 20g into the plaza had issues. However, I didn't plop and drop them. I actually acclimated them like a considerate fish mom.

I'm pretty sure you could move him though. Did he go though the last course of meds you did?