Fungus growth on Betta

stowcenter93

Yesterday, I found my Betta stuck headfirst in the Aquarium Coop shrimp cave. He was still alive and I carefully did my best to remove him.

I immediately treated the 10 gallon tank (my QT sprung a leak 2 weeks ago) with Maracyn and monitored him. He was banged up good and clearly exhausted but he was alive. I continued monitor him. He hung out near the surface the rest of the day.

Fast forward to today. I just came home from work and saw that he was moving around more, albeit much slower. 

Then I noticed fungus growing around the wounded areas.  Looking for some advice on how I should respond to this development.

Nitrates are around 20ppm

Very hard water, high buffer

pH around 7.2

Temps are about 80 degrees F.

Thanks in advance.

20221117_195628.jpg

20221117_195000.jpg

20221117_195007.jpg

• 1 month later...

@Colu @TheSwissAquaristWant to thank both of you again. The Betta made a full recovery. Did Maracyn and Ich -x as the Co-op recommended.

Worked great. I noticed no changes to anything with the tank during the process. By day 3, he was swimming around again. 

For anyone searching for advice on a similar situation: I would highly recommend finding as many plants as possible and float them during the process. I found all my floating plant roots help slow down the tank activity and can help avoid stress to the injured fish.

20221007_145828.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, stowcenter93 said:

@Colu @TheSwissAquaristWant to thank both of you again. The Betta made a full recovery. Did Maracyn and Ich -x as the Co-op recommended.

Worked great. I noticed no changes to anything with the tank during the process. By day 3, he was swimming around again. 

For anyone searching for advice on a similar situation: I would highly recommend finding as many plants as possible and float them during the process. I found all my floating plant roots help slow down the tank activity and can help avoid stress to the injured fish.

20221007_145828.jpg

Great to hear that! Hope he has a long and happy life ahead of him!

Merry Xmas!