What are my shrimp doing?

EmmaFish

I just got fire red cherry shrimp off Aquabid they arrived over 72 hours ago; they are now gathering in the corner of the tank by the sponge filter and hauling themselves fully out of the water by clinging to the silicone molding. 

Here's a pic:

My tank is a 10gal, with a pH of 7.2, dGH 16, dKH 5, and temperature 76F. What on earth is happening? Is something wrong? 

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

Edited by EmmaFish

On 11/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, EmmaFish said:

My tank is a 10gal, with a pH of 7.2, dGH 16, dKH 5, and temperature 76F. What on earth is happening? Is something wrong? 

Add an airstone. Drop the temp slightly if you can and report back.

Shrimp do that mostly when they are unhappy or trying to find something. Especially when the tank is new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find that shrimp really like a nice vigorous airstone and well oxygenated water. Mine aren't afraid to get right in the stream of bubbles and go for a ride.

The Gh seems a little high out of all the parameters you've listed. 

I generally find that when I buy shrimp, they don't all acclimate and make it in the end, but enough survive to have a generation of shrimplets, and the ones that survive seems to be much more hardy and bullet proof in the conditions they were born in.

Some shrimp are climbers, but if they are all climbing that could be an indication of something as @nabokovfan87 mentioned.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any updates on the shrimps?

As @tolstoy21 said, the GH is a bit high. Not sure if that's the reason for the climbing, but def something to keep in mind.
Chances are they are born and grown in water with much lower GH.

In my experience the older shrimps can have a pretty hard time when it comes to changes water parameters.
When i'm buying new shrimps i prefer the younger ones for that reason.

Best is to drip acclimate them and take your time. And even then it's hard to keep them all alive.
As soon as you got shrimplets you should be fine.

Edited by Remlicht89
Spelling mistake... Should be chances are, not changes ;)
  • Like 2