Fish without a filter

Helena

Hello! I am cycling my new tank and noticed my ammonia was high so I did a 30% water change. When I went to plug my filter back in it shorted. I have 20 long with a bubbler and 5 white cloud minnows. They will be okay for a few days while I wait for the new filter to come in? Or do I need to go and get a backup filter tomorrow morning?

Tank parameters prior to water change:

Ammonia: .50ppm

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

(I didn't test nitrite since ammonia was already high enough to suggest a water change)

What I would do is add an Air stone to increase levels of desolve oxygen that will help keep your benefial bacteria alive and I would test daily and do daily 50% water changes and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia and nitrite till it constantly stays at zero 

On 11/17/2022 at 3:08 AM, Helena said:

This is my tank. I am sorry I am new to this and it might be a stupid question but I just have an airline tube coming from an airpump. Does this count as an air stone or do air stones do something else to oxygenate the water?

PXL_20221113_013333691.jpg

Air Stones create finer bubbles they are more efficient at adding oxygen to water then larger bubble's 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 6:34 PM, BAT said:

What kind of filter?

I have (or had) a Marineland Penguin 150 with a BIO-Wheel Power Filter. I am switching to a aquaclear 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:12 PM, Colu said:

Air stone create finer bubble they are more efficient at adding oxygen to water then larger bubble's 

My plan is to make a bubble curtain along the back by poking holes every half an inch down the length of the back of the tank to add more bubbles. I am just waiting for suction cups to come in the mail to fix it to the back do you think that would suffice?

On 11/17/2022 at 3:13 AM, Helena said:

I have (or had) a Marineland Penguin 150 with a BIO-Wheel Power Filter. I am switching to a aquaclear 

My plan is to make a bubble curtain along the back by poking holes every half an inch down the length of the back of the tank to add more bubbles. I am just waiting for suction cups to come in the mail to fix it to the back do you think that would suffice?

That should work I would add a hole every half inch 

When you say shorted, what happened? Did the filter spark or indicate there was a catastrophic failure?

I know sometimes the impeller will get “stuck” and not spin unless you take a straw (or other soft poking tool) and move the impeller out of that spot. Then it will start working again. 

If you’ve noted a catastrophic failure, I wouldn’t try this though. If it’s just sitting there humming instead of working, give the other method a shot. 

Sorry that this happened for you!

On 11/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, RadMax8 said:

When you say shorted, what happened? Did the filter spark or indicate there was a catastrophic failure?

I know sometimes the impeller will get “stuck” and not spin unless you take a straw (or other soft poking tool) and move the impeller out of that spot. Then it will start working again. 

If you’ve noted a catastrophic failure, I wouldn’t try this though. If it’s just sitting there humming instead of working, give the other method a shot. 

Sorry that this happened for you!

I have it plugged into a power strip with my air pump and heater (both tetra brand don't know the specifics) and when I plugged it in I didn't hear it start whirling but I did hear my air pump start skipping so i unplugged it and tried another outlet (not on the same power strip) and it didn't start so I'm pretty sure it's dead

Since you’re resigned to a fish-in cycle, you should be doing regular, large water changes anyways. 

Also, you can likely make a home made sponge filter with things you have at home. Specifically, the filter media from your filter and your air stone/pump. Plenty of YouTube videos.

Edited by AndEEss