Is Swiss Chard safe for mystery snails?

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 11/15/2022 at 6:32 PM, Schuyler said:

I don't see how it would be that different from spinach or kale

Is there something specific about it that makes you nervous?

Shows how uncultured I am. I didn't even know what the heck it was 😂

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’ve never had it before either @TeeJay. I was just trying a new recipe and it called for this ingredient.

@Schuyler I just don’t like putting things in my tank if I don’t know it has been tried before or what effect it would have.

I'm guessing it would be good for them. Lots of magnesium and other minerals. If it makes you feel more comfortable, my garden snails love it. Wish they didn't...

• Haha 1

Yes Swiss chard is fine. I got mixed reactions with it. Half liked it half never went to it. At the time I had a betta and my betta liked it because it was soft. My betta was always afraid he was missing out on some thing though so I’m not sure if he ate it just so nobody else could eat it or if he ate it because he liked it😂

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

At this point I feel like snails really are picky ngl 😄 They all seem to like something different. Which makes feeding a tank even harder.

I found the success on snellos when I  limit the veggies with what they ALL love and by observing their behavior versus every veggy I drop to the tank each day.  You are right. We have to please everyone.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

To add to this thread, I offered kale recently.  Only one out of six mystery snails was interested.  She finished it, but I will probably will not offer kale again.  We need to please everyone.

My snails  favs are Collard green, green beans and pumpkin. They literally avoid the snello in total if I add stuff like broccoli. 😄 If you have never tried Collard greens, give it a try!

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 2:46 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Haven’t tried those yet! I will!

Can be hard to come by sadly. I can only find it on farmers market during this season.

Planning to keep some frozen in my freezer before the season ends😄

What's your community fav? 🙃

On 1/17/2023 at 7:58 AM, Lennie said:

Can be hard to come by sadly. I can only find it on farmers market during this season.

Planning to keep some frozen in my freezer before the season ends😄

What's your community fav? 🙃

It's easy to get here in the southern US.  Kind of considered a staple.  

Community fave is carrots!  I boil them a good while until they are very tender.  Baby carrots are the easiest thing. No chopping!  Be forewarned though: orange food results in orange poops! 🤣

Tagging @A3M0N who is catering to snails also!  

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1