Electric Blue Acara Breeding

Beardedbillygoat1975

I’ve had “Bluey” for awhile - since last Christmas giving her to myself as a Christmas present. She and Spikey Feathers roamed the tank as king and queen. Since the move up to Seattle she has spent some time in my fishroom until I finally got the 45 setup with the intent that she would be the centerpiece (RIP Spikey). However, she got a fever that could only be quelled by silvertip tetras and we had to put her back in the fishroom. 6904CD9E-E69D-4C18-B6AE-A53011E7C091.jpeg.afff09d40b4b2ba2b4b9ffd5b5af2ab4.jpeg

I genuinely felt bad about this. She’s gorgeous. How could I make it up to her?! Well the answer came with the GSAS Fall auction at which her male counterpart emerged like manna from A nondenominational heaven. Glare ahead sorry I’m a challenged fish room photog. 38AB80F5-F8B1-42C5-97E9-0B035B853420.jpeg.af7b90a33e7a6536dcee5f088c23d316.jpeg

He's got that perfect Acara shape. He really pops and well he’s made Bluey pop as her cloaca popped out immediately upon seeing said stud whose now been named Mr Blue or Mr Blue Sky (rip Eddie Bunker or ELO depending on your age and music/movie taste). I’ll start keeping a log of their activities here. 

So far they’ve picked out a magnolia leaf that they like that they’ve moved and wedged between some rocks and wood. Every time I tried to take her pic as she was doing the dragging she’d drop it so I gave up.  9F41969C-3DA3-4939-957D-DBEBA8753459.jpeg.907dfdd84551be30d3e0fc30297d34ea.jpeg

I had a colony of Super Schwartzi and a couple black mollies who I’ve moved due to the inevitable violence of cichlid territoriality. My L181 plecos keep to themselves and for now I’ll keep them in here. They’ll benefit from the protein I’ll be giving these two along with their regular doses of veggies which I put at the opening of their caves. Bluey likes to pick at it as well. Here’s a longish video of the process that I watched.   

Pardon the NA beer and the other mess. 

Have fun everyone! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I found it really hard to get another adult fish that was why this was amazing! @Fish Folkand his sons raised a ton of them in a large tank certainly think you’ll be successful. They have their own 29 g now. Let’s see!! I think the most reasonable thing is to get a group from a reputable source, let them pair off and choose the best couple if you are breeding to sell. I’ve seen some washed out ones and I’ve seen some really electric ones. Color always sells! 

• Like 1

Earlier this year I was gifted a pair of Blue Acara’s for a breeding project and it was so fun!! My Acara’s were like little water dogs and than all of a sudden a few months down the line you got an enormous amount of water puppies. Also really fun to raise. Their colors as they get older are gorgeous. Good luck to you with them hopefully you get a spawn out of them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

They inevitably will breed. I need to start sorting out what to do with all the puppies!

So, so true. I have a few of @Fish Folk ‘s beautiful acaras. They bred within just a few days of landing with me…I’m trying to get said water puppies to a good size to rehome but there are so many and they have a great survival rate 😂. I honestly thought they would eat their first batch of eggs. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 1:35 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Well dearest Nerms we’ve got babies, as @Fish Folkand others have warned me lots and lots of babies. 

I think I have a bit of time before i have to separate them from the parents whom seem to Continue to protect and dote on them. 

From my all of one “clutch” that I have had (so it could be just luck) - they don’t seem to forget that their babies are their babies. Mine did not predate on the babies and they stayed in close quarters for months. I let the parents stay for about 3 months and they left their babies be the whole time. It was quite impressive parenting instincts this species seems to have.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a minute or 2 since my last update. I’d say we’ve got half of the fry left. I went 7 days instead of every 3 on the water changes (was solo parenting for a week) and I think this led to a bit of Darwinian struggle. Here’s some videos and images of the fry. 0A42AC40-B031-423D-8A42-B19A7F7A6B9A.jpeg.ea49db725bcad3bf150684d23f54d273.jpeg

Mr Blue. 

Thank the boys for this excellent tune!!

This group’s been fun. Little orange bellies if you can make them out on my video. 

Have fun.