African Dwarf Frog just Fat OR Sick?

Wicklessfishmom

We’ve had this male African dwarf frog since June, so about 5 months. He’s been pretty healthy and happy, even breeding last month with the female. We woke up yesterday to find him very FAT in the abdomen area and he was staying near the top of the tank which I know can be a sign of illness. He looks healthy to me still except that his abdomen is enlarged. He’s not really eating, but we are fasting him for a few days to see if he maybe has just eaten too much. My concerns are the following-

1- It could be dropsy

2-We are missing an Amano shrimp. Wondering if he ate it and is just digesting him?

3-He ate something else he shouldn’t have and is impacted possibly. 

We’ve added a little Melefix to the tank yesterday to see if it would help, and today he seems a little less bloated and is hiding in his usual spots on the bottom. 
We just did a 20% water change a few days ago. The water parameters are:

10 Gallon heavily planted tank-76°
Tank mates- male beta, female ADF, 3 amano shrimp, 5 otocinclus catfish  

PH-7.4  KH-214.8ppm  GH-53.7ppm

Ammonia-0  Nitrite-0 Nitrate-25

first phot was yesterday(day one) second two l are this morning and last one is from a couple weeks ago showing what he normally looks like(but “hugging” Rosie)

Anyone have any experience with something like this that would be able to suggest something to do?

0504AD2B-220A-40F3-8B23-52FB1C3BA0D2.jpeg

5166FA35-4FA6-48A0-AC2D-5FA9E6CDC24B.jpeg

A8F67B5D-1049-4247-9307-4E29B2FE529C.jpeg

44553FB9-154B-41D2-8DA9-8F30C7392A2F.jpeg

Edited by Wicklessfishmom
Add questions

On 11/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, Wicklessfishmom said:

We’ve had this male African dwarf frog since June, so about 5 months. He’s been pretty healthy and happy, even breeding last month with the female. We woke up yesterday to find him very FAT in the abdomen area and he was staying near the top of the tank which I know can be a sign of illness. He looks healthy to me still except that his abdomen is enlarged. He’s not really eating, but we are fasting him for a few days to see if he maybe has just eaten too much. My concerns are the following-

1- It could be dropsy

2-We are missing an Amano shrimp. Wondering if he ate it and is just digesting him?

3-He ate something else he shouldn’t have and is impacted possibly. 

We’ve added a little Melefix to the tank yesterday to see if it would help, and today he seems a little less bloated and is hiding in his usual spots on the bottom. 
We just did a 20% water change a few days ago. The water parameters are:

10 Gallon heavily planted tank-76°
Tank mates- male beta, female ADF, 3 amano shrimp, 5 otocinclus catfish  

PH-7.4  KH-214.8ppm  GH-53.7ppm

Ammonia-0  Nitrite-0 Nitrate-25

first phot was yesterday(day one) second two l are this morning and last one is from a couple weeks ago showing what he normally looks like(but “hugging” Rosie)

Anyone have any experience with something like this that would be able to suggest something to do?

0504AD2B-220A-40F3-8B23-52FB1C3BA0D2.jpeg

5166FA35-4FA6-48A0-AC2D-5FA9E6CDC24B.jpeg

A8F67B5D-1049-4247-9307-4E29B2FE529C.jpeg

44553FB9-154B-41D2-8DA9-8F30C7392A2F.jpeg

i think...

your going to be a father/ mother!!! both frogs look fine, the one in all photos is defiantly a male and the other frog in the second looks like a female. as of anything wrong, i dont see anything, they both seem healthy, some times the way the frog is positioned it just looks "fat" like if you are in the fetal position your upper thigh looks large but if you stand up strait it looks normal. the amano could just be molting so thats why you couldnt see it.

adf's are bottom dwellers so its normal for them to spend most of the time on the bottom

have you heard any buzzing from the tank at night?

We did have tadpoles a few weeks ago after the last picture happened. They are both young frog and had just reached sexual maturity. We have been hearing Remy(the male) singing at night, but since I’ve noticed his swollen abdomen the last couple nights he hasn’t been singing. I’m just concerned about his abdomen being quite a bit larger that’s normal. 

On 11/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, Wicklessfishmom said:

We did have tadpoles a few weeks ago after the last picture happened. They are both young frog and had just reached sexual maturity. We have been hearing Remy(the male) singing at night, but since I’ve noticed his swollen abdomen the last couple nights he hasn’t been singing. I’m just concerned about his abdomen being quite a bit larger that’s normal. 

in the photos i didnt see anything wrong, it looks the same as the female personally,  besides not singing is it acting majorly different (not eating, not hunting, frequently/ not going up for air)