Dropsy only in one fish?

Pizzafan

Hi all,

I have a species tank of CPDs - one of which I noticed has pretty bad dropsy. But all the other ones seem fine. No ammonia or nitrites, trace nitrates (<10pm) in a heavily planted tank. Treating my tank with aquarium salt and kanamycin (doubt he’ll come back) - but I’m surprised everybody else is totally fine. Has anybody seen this before and have ideas what can cause it?

What I would do is quarantine and most effective treatment for dropsy I have found is with kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days treat any possible internal bacterial infection metroplex to dose the tank that treats aeromonas bacteria a common cause of dropsy aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will help reduce any possible fluid buildup 

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 7:44 AM, Pizzafan said:

Hi all,

I have a species tank of CPDs - one of which I noticed has pretty bad dropsy. But all the other ones seem fine. No ammonia or nitrites, trace nitrates (<10pm) in a heavily planted tank. Treating my tank with aquarium salt and kanamycin (doubt he’ll come back) - but I’m surprised everybody else is totally fine. Has anybody seen this before and have ideas what can cause it?

alright it is a common misconception that dropsy is a pathogen, that is false it is a symptom, for example you could have a cough; is that an ailment all on its own? No. same with dropsy. Dropsy is just fluid collecting in the chest cavity causing bloat, causing the scales to "pinecone" out. Dropsy can be caused by many things from physical wounds to pathological means.

• Like 2