Random Festivities

Flumpweesel

So tonight is Bonfire Night when the people of the UK celebrate the thwarting of  a plot to blow up the houses of parliament in 1605 and the brutal execution of conspirators. So to commemorate this we build bonfires (optional burning of a Guy) and set off fireworks. This goes from massive organised displays to utterly terrifying back yard explosive chaos.  We also eat treacle toffee and in my part of country parched pea and parkin (cake).  Alcohol is generally involved as well.  Some of my best childhood memories are of our bonfires and that strange feeling of your face burning but your bum freezing that you can only get stood in front of bonfire at night in November. 

So it occurs to me that this is UK specific so people of far away lands what messed up things do you celebrate (with or without fire). 

• Like 1

When I was a boy fake Christmas trees were a rarity.  Around New Years my city would send out trucks to pick up hundreds of discarded Christmas trees.  A mountain of trees was formed in the middle of the football field for a ceremonial tree burning.  It drew quite a crowd. City officials would say a few words, a fireman would throw a road flare into the pile, and a lone half frozen Boy Scout would play Taps.  I don't know when the practice was stopped, but on one occasion I was that Boy Scout.  I clearly remember trying to keep my bugle warm enough to play before the heatwave from a burning pine forest hit me.

• Love 2

A branch of our family had annual bonfires, just a small family gathering with long forks to roast marshmallows and hotdogs, in the fall, and I always loved that event. I think it would be great if each town or neighborhood could have one.

I live far away now and the original family bonfire builders are gone, but I do a ceremonial burning of last year's Christmas tree around Halloween. Christmas trees burn nicely and by waiting until fall to burn it, I get to smell the heavenly scent of drying Christmas tree every time I am gardening  or turning compost behind the shed where last year's tree is laying waiting for fall.

This year we had a burn ban due to no rain so I burned branches in the fire bowl rather than the whole tree. Still fun to sit and read in front of the fire.

• Like 2

My friends and I used to gather for pig roasts, or other special event bonfires.  The men and older boys would go into the woods with tractors and saws to harvest dead trees to build the tallest fire possible, usually 12'-14'.  Everyone was invited to a prebonfire potluck dinner. As if the bonfire wasn't dramatic enough, sometimes fireworks and sliced up road flares, were placed to self ignite later as the fire progressed. It remains to be seen if the practice will continue. The kids are grown and scattering and the original fire builders are getting old, but a much more sedate event still occurs once or twice a year.

It rained the morning of this event, and the young experts did not think to keep the kindling dry.🤣 The old guys saved them from too much additional embarrassment!

Mad fire2.jpg

MF24.jpg