First time Quarantine Experience

RichNJ

First time with a QT tank after a breakout in my display.  Trying to avoid a repeat so quarantining new fish now with the trio.  I am on day 5 with the trio, and added 12 cardinals, a couple of guppies and a molly in a 10g QT.  Last night, one cardinal looked a bit rough.  Today, there was 3/4s of him left and the other chowing down on him.  They ate is insides already so I figured if he had parasites or anything else, well the others do now too since they ate him.

Do you think I should repeat treatment in another week or two, after they settle down after the first tri round?

On 11/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, RichNJ said:

First time with a QT tank after a breakout in my display.  Trying to avoid a repeat so quarantining new fish now with the trio.  I am on day 5 with the trio, and added 12 cardinals, a couple of guppies and a molly in a 10g QT.  Last night, one cardinal looked a bit rough.  Today, there was 3/4s of him left and the other chowing down on him.  They ate is insides already so I figured if he had parasites or anything else, well the others do now too since they ate him.

Do you think I should repeat treatment in another week or two, after they settle down after the first tri round?

@Colu is the one to ask.

Good luck!

• Administrators

It's not easy to answer this question as we can't see the fish. If they're looking healthy, then it's likely the trio has done it's main job of preventing spreading disease from newly acquired fish. However with internal parasites, you need to follow up with paracleanse again, after letting the fish rest for a week and eat. This is because any internal parasites who laid eggs, the eggs are not affected by the paracleanse. They have to hatch out to be killed.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:52 PM, Cory said:

It's not easy to answer this question as we can't see the fish. If they're looking healthy, then it's likely the trio has done it's main job of preventing spreading disease from newly acquired fish. However with internal parasites, you need to follow up with paracleanse again, after letting the fish rest for a week and eat. This is because any internal parasites who laid eggs, the eggs are not affected by the paracleanse. They have to hatch out to be killed.

Thanks for responding Cory...I think my wife and kids will be excited that you responded.  You are a household name for us, particularly noting that they say "Daddy is watching another Cory video."

Anyway, the rest all look healthy...maybe just that one little guy was too weak and too far gone, so they just went after him when he slowed now.  The rest were probably hungry too, and we all know mollies are machines.

Overall, I am leaning towards treating them all again in another week as you mention just in case.  Will feed them well in between, some of the cardinals are pretty skinny to begin with.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, Cory said:

Unless you see ich or a bacterial infection. Round two should only need paracleanse.

Great, thanks, will try that after trio is done and 1 week of rest/food.  

Unless the wrinkle is this pink glow zebra danio.  He was in my display for a year, but started not to look good.  Swollen belly and white coloration.  After the breakout and partial wipe out in the display tank (which I thought was bacteria), I moved this one over to the new QT.  I figured to treat him and the new fish at once.  

98DAE75F-CC36-4E73-B59E-24786A3C69CF.jpeg

84D6F85E-11A8-4A2E-BFF6-49EEDF927BA2.jpeg

6A5D16B3-99EC-4FA3-BE33-5812FDC2353B.jpeg