Chloramine on test strips?

Mr Gumby

Hi folks, can anybody confirm that the chlorine test on strips also picks up chloramines?

I'm thinking that once all my tanks are moved to one area I can get a big butt (snigger) and aerate water over night and allow it to temperature acclimate to the room which will be close enough to use for water changes rather than trying to match temps from the tap.

My water report suggests chloramines are used occasionally so I'd still have to test before use but I'm not a fan of using chemicals so if I can avoid using dechlorinator I will assuming I can test for chloramine

Note...I'm in the UK so no Co-op strips for me, I use tetra but I'm assuming they all work the same way

If your strips measure "free chlorine", then they're only measuring chlorine and not chloramine.

If they measure "total chlorine", then both chlorine and chloramine are being measured together.

Some strips have two pads. One for free chlorine and one for total chlorine.

Edited by modified lung

• Administrators

If you're asking about our test strips. The manufacturer states they do not. However Zenzo says they do in his tap water. I believe this, however I can't verify as my local water sources don't have chloramine, only chlorine.

Who's your water authority? 

Mine UU doesn't use Choramine according to the reports and I didn't think it was common practice in the UK.  Still I would rather add a bit of prime than having buckets of water gassing off all he time.  I'm not organised enough either water changes are rarely planned more than an hour ahead let alone a day.