Is it possible to sanitize second-hand stratum to reuse?

eyeebrows

Back again with another newbie question. I'm sorry if I didn't put this in the right category..I wasn't sure. 

I recently got a second hand 33g tank and the lady gave me a hefty amount of either fluval stratum or something similar in looks (she didn't say). I'd really hate to throw it out because jeez is it a lot of it, but I'm also hesitant to use it. Is trying to clean this stuff a good idea? How do I even go about it? I've never used this stuff before. I've noticed some people saying you can gently rinse it, but others saying it's a terrible idea to. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My first thought is what kind of tank are you planning on creating. My reason for thinking this is if it’s not for some elaborate aquascape you may be able to reap the benefits of the stratum without it being the substrate but rather bagging it or using it as a layer of a substrate, even potting it, many reasons to at least keep it around few to throw it out. As far as sanitizing it goes I’ve never personally done this with substrate. I’ve rinsed it before, but typically now I dry it out before use in the sun depending on the type. I wouldn’t worry too much about it perhaps just allow it to thoroughly dry out for a while in some fashion before use and it should be good to go. I always keep meds and things on hand to battle issues that arise or parameter changes that occur etc. but I typically just use natural things like that, if you bought botanicals I don’t think it would be much different, you don’t know where they have been but most people just use them without issue, substrate in my experience is quite similar, some people use dirt from the yard, mud from the pond, I think the trick is to monitor the tank as it balances and adjust as needed. Sorry for the long response I guess in summary my answer would be you can rinse it or don’t, you can dry it or not, nature will be nature it’s our job to make the adjustments when necessary, just my opinion 

I do have a bunch of plants to put in it, but it's going to be a low tech tank, so nothing too elaborate. Thought about capping it with sand as I'm looking into corys as an eventual add. Current fellows that'll be moving into it are one betta and one mystery snail. 

With my sand and gravel I've only ever rinsed them beforehand, but I've also never had stuff that was in a tank previously. Leaving it out in the sun to dry sounds like the most appealing idea..except we've hit rainy season here so who knows when I'll see the sun again 😞

I have a good stock of meds on hand, but I am still paranoid about the betta catching anything. He ended up having the beginning of ick when I got him and had a very long battle with that and swim bladder issues. Genuinely did not expect him to survive. Now I'm a paranoid mother.

A good way to sterilize any soil-type product is to barbecue it. Any soil-type product will smell very bad when heated high enough to sterilize it, so firing up a barbecue outside and putting a pot of whatever soil-type product you're hoping to sterilize on the barbecue for an hour or more should render it very safe to use without stinking up your house too badly.  

• Like 3

On 11/1/2022 at 8:25 AM, gardenman said:

A good way to sterilize any soil-type product is to barbecue it. 

Having worked in a large scale greenhouse, I can attest to this as well. We baked all our soil before bagging....thanks gardenman for evoking that smell for me haha. 

On 11/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, JJenna said:

Having worked in a large scale greenhouse, I can attest to this as well. We baked all our soil before bagging....thanks gardenman for evoking that smell for me haha. 

Yeah, it's an effective way to sterilize any soil product, but the smell is not ideal. Jim Crockett, the original gardener on PBS's "Crockett's Victory Garden" used the barbecue method. It works and is a lot easier on the nose to do it outside.  

• Like 1

I really don't think it's worth the effort, but at the end of the day its up to you. I've regretted using fluval stratum in almost every tank I've had it in, it starts out amazing for plants and everything that it claims to be, but once it runs out of juice its just a non-ideal looking substrate thats hard to plant stuff in or clean because of its light weight. 

If you like the substrate and everything 100% go for it though. 

• Like 1

I've bought used aquasoil and just used it as is, mixed in with some new stuff. Even when it's old it still has a high CEC capacity so it'll hold onto nutrients from the water column. On the other hand if you buy new then you're assured of getting maximum nutrients for your new plants. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, Gannon said:

I really don't think it's worth the effort, but at the end of the day its up to you. I've regretted using fluval stratum in almost every tank I've had it in, it starts out amazing for plants and everything that it claims to be, but once it runs out of juice its just a non-ideal looking substrate thats hard to plant stuff in or clean because of its light weight. 

If you like the substrate and everything 100% go for it though. 

In all honesty, I'm only considering it as a money save. I have a 20g right now so definitely not enough to transfer over. 

I've read a lot of people complaining about trying to keep it clean, etc.

• Like 1