kuhli loach nest

KittenFishMom

I decided to try building a simple kuhli loach nest to see what they think.

I rinsed some pool sand and filled a deli cup wit the sand and put it in the front of the smaller female guppy tank.

They guppies are having fun investigating it. one is resting on the bottom and the snails are climbing up the sides.

Some of the guppies are pecking at the sand. not sure why, I haven't fed the tank for hours. 

I'll get some photos and keep you posted.

guppy and snails checking out nest

1030221896_kulinest.jpg.3b8aa0742a491d50078cc654743a60a5.jpg

kuhli loach hiding in heater cover head is top left under light reflection, body is lower right

2065732906_kuhlihideinginheaterguard.jpg.ff2c3b52440caa83dd430628bab7f33c.jpg

moss on filter.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 2

Kuhli don't really nest; they hide having said that they aren't going to like that large gravel so they might move to the softer sand (softer not soft); if there is coverage in there but with the clear sides i wouldn't be surprise if they find some other better hiding space (if there is one in your aquarium).

On 10/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I decided to try building a simple kuhli loach nest to see what they think.

I rinsed some pool sand and filled a deli cup wit the sand and put it in the front of the smaller female guppy tank.

They guppies are having fun investigating it. one is resting on the bottom and the snails are climbing up the sides.

Some of the guppies are pecking at the sand. not sure why, I haven't fed the tank for hours. 

I'll get some photos and keep you posted.

guppy and snails checking out nest

1030221896_kulinest.jpg.3b8aa0742a491d50078cc654743a60a5.jpg

kuhli loach hiding in heater cover head is top left under light reflection, body is lower right

2065732906_kuhlihideinginheaterguard.jpg.ff2c3b52440caa83dd430628bab7f33c.jpg

moss on filter.jpg

I have to admit I’m always petrified of fry getting into a heater like that and ending up as fried fry😜.

I'll be honest with you the kuhli would appreciate if the entire tank was that sand; and it wouldn't hurt the other fishes either. The large gravel can have issue over long period of time as it becomes a food (and later bacteria) trap. 

I'm not a fan of sharks; they can eat humans and i don't want my fishes eating me.

@anewbie You are reading my mind. I am doing my 55-gallon tank in Walstad and sand. that is why I had the sand to test drive a kuhli nest. I am over stocked with guppies, but another 25 are going on Monday (yippy!!) so I bought the loaches early hoping the would stir things up and into the HOB.  Life will get better for my fih and me once the 55 is going and the guppies are gone.  All the tanks are overstocked. I wanted to get the plants growing above air for a while before filling the 55 tank, but it isn't going to work that way.

As for sharks, I caught a 36 inch Northern Pike off my front lawn. That is all the shark I need. It was stunning, but I put it back and asked it to let me catch it again when it was 4 feet. If you get nicked by one of their many very sharp teeth, it bleeds like crazy because they have an anticoagulant in the mouths. It can get very messy. 

• Like 1

Side stack note: When the crowd would get rude at my school's hockey games, they use to taunt the goalie with "You're not a goalie, you're a sieve, You're not a sieve, you're a funnel, You're not a funnel, your a black hole !" I went to a knirdie school. We had alcohol are football games, to easy the pain, but never at hockey games. The team was too good, you wanted to pay attention. 

Edited by KittenFishMom

@TheSwissAquarist They say they are, but rather boney.  I tend to catch and release.

I got into the aquarium hobby when I set up a 120 gallon tank to hold my catch and keep it healthy and swimming for my Mom to eat. Mom was on chemo, and most things did not appeal, but she loved fresh fish. It was my first tank. Mom loved bullhead catfish and yellow perch.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:35 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Mom was on chemo,

Sorry to hear that 😞.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:29 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@TheSwissAquarist and @anewbie and @nabokovfan87 Here is my shark. a northern pike. I don't have a big enough aquarium, so it lives in the lake.

538199642_npike.jpg.81c8bb330f0f07055f9a6bacf7f1f051.jpg

Must be nice to have something that actually fights back! All the mountain trout up here are like the break and strain of a Kit Kat on a summers day.

@TheSwissAquarist yes, the pike and the carp and the snapping turtles really fight hard.  And the snappers don't stop withyou get them out of the water.  Ever catch  mirror carp? I think they were bred in monasteries in europe to begin with. They each have unique pattern that never changes, so you can always tell if you can the same one.

I tend to fish from shore. You have to bring them in carefully, so they don't wrap the line around a dock.

• Like 1