Cichlid salts to raise water hardness?

Sultrysamurai

I went to the pet store that I purchased all the shrimp that died. They tested my water and noted my water was too soft. They had me purchase Cichlid salts to combat the soft water. I’m a now wondering if this is a good idea, as I cannot find anything online about this. Please advise. I hope I didn’t get suckered again at the fish store.

thanks!

9B24B950-8B63-4AA0-8001-5AB3D5986E8B.jpeg

Edited by Sultrysamurai
Typo

On 10/22/2022 at 3:26 AM, Sultrysamurai said:

I went to the pet store that I purchased all the shrimp that died. They tested my water and noted my water was too soft. They had me purchase Cichlid salts to combat the soft water. I’m a now wondering if this is a good idea, as I cannot find anything online about this. Please advise. I hope I didn’t get suckered again at the fish store.

thanks!

9B24B950-8B63-4AA0-8001-5AB3D5986E8B.jpeg

Buffer salts could work, though normally I’d advise crushed coral or wonder shells. At the end of the day it does the same thing 😏. Hope your next shrimp survive!

What kind of shrimp did you purchase? How long were they in your aquarium before they died?

Using that salt should work I would think. Did they recommend a Gh level that your should aim for and does the label on the jar give you instructions on how to achieve that?

Edited by tolstoy21

On 10/22/2022 at 7:10 AM, tolstoy21 said:

What kind of shrimp did you purchase? How long were they in your aquarium before they died?

Using that salt should work I would think. Did they recommend a Gh level that your should aim for and does the label on the jar give you instructions on how to achieve that?

i would also add, how long had the aquarium been up and running. lots of reasons for shrimp to die.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:10 AM, tolstoy21 said:

I had Amano shrimp, they lasted about a week and slowly one by one they died off. They would fall upside down in the tank and a turn pink just after getting squirmy. 
They told me to do 1/2 teaspoon and then again at water changes. 
I have a proper gh/kh test kit coming in the mail as I discovered the api test strips were not helpful. 
I’m concerned if this stuff will actually make the water better for shrimp and if it would be safe with snails and betta fish. 
Thanks!

It will be safe for all fish that I am aware of as long as you get the correct levels corresponding to what each species likes.  You probably just want to focus on having a medium degree of hardness for the species you listed.

Will it make the water better for shrimp? Well, both shrimp and snails need some hardness in the water to grow shells and properly molt so I will definitely help if you have very soft water. 

I wouldn't overthink this all, as that can be frustrating if you are somewhat new to this stuff. Just dose the water until you reach what your test kit tells you is slightly moderate hardness.

Edited by tolstoy21

On 10/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, tolstoy21 said:

It will be safe for all fish that I am aware of as long as you get the correct levels corresponding to what each species likes.  You probably just want to focus on having a medium degree of hardness for the species you listed.

Will it make the water better for shrimp? Well, both shrimp and snails need some hardness in the water to grow shells and properly molt so I will definitely help if you have very soft water. 

I wouldn't overthink this all, as that can be frustrating if you are somewhat new to this stuff. Just dose the water until you reach what your test kit tells you is slightly moderate hardness.

Thank you so much, yes I’m new to this and was pretty bummed about loosing the shrimp. 

@lefty o the tank has been up over 2 months. However I feel it was a slow process to get it cycled. Once my parameters tested clear I eagerly got some shrimp- I had no idea they were so difficult. I’ve had quite a few people say they never had problems with them. 

On 10/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Are you sure the betta didn't nibble at them to death? I've never been able to keep shrimp with a betta without it at least attempting to take some bites out of the shrimp.

I almost wish this was the case, as I would feel better with an answer haha however the Betta was not in the tank with the shrimps. 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, Sultrysamurai said:

Thank you so much, yes I’m new to this and was pretty bummed about loosing the shrimp. 

@lefty o the tank has been up over 2 months. However I feel it was a slow process to get it cycled. Once my parameters tested clear I eagerly got some shrimp- I had no idea they were so difficult. I’ve had quite a few people say they never had problems with them. 

2 months really isnt enough time for a tank to fully mature, and shrimp need a well matured tank.

• Thanks 1