I need to build a pvc attachment for vinyl tubing for pumping water into aquariums.

Gannon

I use RODI water and have always pumped water from one trash bucket, to another 15 feet away with 20 ft tubing and then repeating, pumping that water from the second 45 gallon trash bin to the 125 gallon aquarium i have, but on occasion the (i believe) vinyl tubing slips out of the tank and would cause a mess if i didn't have a friend helping me and sometimes it slips out of the garbage bins and makes a mess. I've seen some people here build nice looking PVC pipe-built solutions that also disperse the water on top of keeping everything, neat, tidy, and in place. Any recommendations on building one of these? I've built aquarium stands but i've never made something out of pvc. Or is there another easier solution I can try?

Yeah working with PVC is super simple. 

You just need a simple cutter -- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-1-4-in-Ratcheting-PVC-Cutter-16PL0101-1/304217581

Some PVC cement -- https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-8-oz-Regular-Clear-PVC-Cement-310133/100345577

You don't need the purple primer + cement kit, as this won't be under a highly pressurized situation. Just use a simple one-step PVC cement.

Wander the PVC aisle of your local hardware store and look at the fittings and elbows, etc, to see what works, as well as a hose barb to attach your vinyl tubing.

Maybe use a stainless steel hose clamp so the vinyl tube doesn't pop off the hose barb - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-1-1-4-in-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Clamp-6712595/202309385

If you have a heat gun, you can also make a J-hook out of a length of PVC, but you'll need to fill it with sand or something so it keeps its form while you bend it.

• Like 2

I bent the PVC into a U shape using a screen door helper spring inside the pipe while gently heating over the kitchen stove until the PVC softened.  You can find this process on YT.  A PVC shutoff vale is a must, or you may accidently siphon the water out of the aquarium.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, Tanked said:

I bent the PVC into a U shape using a screen door helper spring inside the pipe while gently heating over the kitchen stove until the PVC softened.  You can find this process on YT.  A PVC shutoff vale is a must, or you may accidently siphon the water out of the aquarium.

I'm fine with siphoning a little out of accident haha, but I probably should learn to use that. 

On 10/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, Tanked said:

A PVC shutoff vale is a must, or you may accidently siphon the water out of the aquarium.

@Gannon Good idea. 

You can also put a PVC check valve at the base of the hook to prevent back flow. This way it works without having to switch it off or on. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProLine-Series-3-4-in-Solvent-x-Solvent-PVC-Check-Valve-101-604HC/100127314

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

Ok, cause I'm me and can obsess over an idea --- I drew up this crude picture. I might actually make one of these myself!

Super simple, three pieces. The hook (after you bend some pipe), the check valve cemented to the base of the hook, then the hose barb cemented to the check valve.

image.jpeg.1f0f4b3aed6691f7bcee85f3823c011e.jpeg

Here is a link to an Aquarium Coop video in which Dean shows how to heat and bend PVC on a stove. This is part of a DIY indoor pond build.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Ok, cause I'm me and can obsess over an idea --- I drew up this crude picture. I might actually make one of these myself!

Super simple, three pieces. The hook (after you bend some pipe), the check valve cemented to the base of the hook, then the hose barb cemented to the check valve.

image.jpeg.1f0f4b3aed6691f7bcee85f3823c011e.jpeg

Here is a link to an Aquarium Coop video in which Dean shows how to heat and bend PVC on a stove. This is part of a DIY indoor pond build.

This is seriously great thanks! What types of cement should I use? are any toxic for aquarium purposes? Thanks

This is the cement I use.  It's not toxic. Just let it cure (it cures very, very fast) and then maybe run water through the pipe just to clear out any crud or residue.

I also use the 2-part PVC cement at times. That's not toxic either. I don't believe any of the available PVC cements (also know as welding solvent) are toxic as they are meant for potable water.  

image.jpeg.60b5943850e9044d3a63800c892429f4.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't glue/cement in the check valve. You never know when you'll want to use the hook/siphon the other way. And I do support friction fit over gluing/cement if possible. Twist and press together. Although, some of my cpvc friction-fit assemblies have cracked along the seams over time. Eg the elbows can split over the pipe, loosening the assembly. I use mine often enough that I always see/notice/find this before anything bad happens. 

I also support the 90 degree elbows over the heat/bending. It's just easier. But I do love the door spring suggestion above. 🙂

The hardest part of any pvc assembly is connecting your beautiful tidy assembly to your pump fittings. You'll learn all about international pipe thread vs garden hose thread, straight vs tapered pipe threads, and so on. Because of all this, sometimes the quick and dirty band aid is a better long-term solution that finding just the right piece or part. Some tips: 

• garden hose fittings don't match aquarium or plumbing fittings without a special adapter. Most decent stores have the adapters, but you have to know exactly what you're looking for, eg male ght (garden hose thread) to [size] female pipe thread or fpt. Size will be 3/4" of 1/2" depending on what you're working with. So you might see something like "3/4 male gh to 1/2 fpt".
  • Vinyl tubing is quite flexible in terms of forcing it on larger fittings if you heat it up in scalding hot water for a few seconds.
  • Clamp rings for the win.
  • Be aware of your diameters. Is tubing/pipe diameter the inside diameter id or outside diameter od? 
  • Consider working with CPVC if it's available. CPVC pipe works with sharkbite fittings and valves, which may be a bit more expensive but are way easier to use and connect (pics)
  • Also consider using Gardena connectors. They are very robust in terms of not leaking, and they have really good and easy 1/2" adapters to connect to bare hose like python tubing (pics). 

IMG_8737.jpg.bcc4095282a104fd31c59d0a00aa857d.jpg

Be prepared to spend money. You'll spend double what you need getting the wrong parts %@$*&, and even with the right parts it adds up. The assembly above has 2x 1/2" 90 deg cpvc elbows, a 1/2" cpvc to 1/2" mpt adapter, a 1/2" fpt to 3/4" mpt adapter, the crazy gardena connector (worth its weight in gold), plus a 1/2" sharkbite valve. Plus the cpvc tubing. So easily $30 CDN for the whole thing (most of that is the valve and the gardena connector). [edit: the dark grey ring between the light grey of the gardena and the white pvc adapter came with the gardena connector, and is an adapter for 3/4" fpt to 3/4" male ght.]

IMG_8738.jpg.075bfc7c353c15d7da189313d7ae3f3d.jpg

Most of the time you keep what you bought by mistake, and find a way to make it your bandaid for a future assembly. 🙂

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:52 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I love my DIY siphon for draining water. I didn’t go fancy with a hook, just 2 90° elbows, but I do have the ball valve. 

6BE68EA0-B0FB-4DCE-A065-7ED013CEC4D3.jpeg

48CA3F93-532D-40C3-BCE4-6E9ACB866AE7.jpeg

i think this is what ill do. now I just have to figure out how to get my hose connecting to this.

• Love 1