I have guppies

PerceptivePesce

Some posters around here may remember that I originally wanted goldfish.  I'm also 9 days into my new tank cycle.  Well, one of my friends has a bunch of guppies that are overcrowding his son's 10g.  He and my husband thought it was a good idea for me to take some so I agreed.

My friend used to have a saltwater reef tank before he became a father, and now he's teaching his kids about life.  He gave me about 2 dozen females today, but one may be a male.  They seem healthy, they're symmetrical, and their fins look healthy.

They put a smile on my face, but I also didn't want to do sacrificial fish.  I'll do my best to keep them alive.  Mercy!

1097139030_GiftGuppies(1).gif.410ead121d464c5ff7b18a6eb4dda6f1.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 2

They are hardy, but throw some plants in there, they take up nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia which are all in the water and can hurt fishies. Floating plants like giant duckweed, frogbit, or even cabomba or anacharis are inexpensive insurance to keep your fishies breathing easy, plus they look great and fish like to hide and play around them. Share some Gup pictures! 🙂

• Love 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:45 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Some posters around here may remember that I originally wanted goldfish.  I'm also 9 days into my new tank cycle.  Well, one of my friends has a bunch of guppies that are overcrowding his son's 10g.  He and my husband thought it was a good idea for me to take some so I agreed.

My friend used to have a saltwater reef tank before he became a father, and now he's teaching his kids about life.  He gave me about 2 dozen females today, but one may be a male.  They seem healthy, they're symmetrical, and their fins look healthy.

They put a smile on my face, but I also didn't want to do sacrificial fish.  I'll do my best to keep them alive.  Mercy!

1097139030_GiftGuppies(1).gif.410ead121d464c5ff7b18a6eb4dda6f1.gif

Reminds me of troops marching off to the closest bar.😏

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 10:33 PM, B7gwap said:

They are hardy, but throw some plants in there, they take up nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia which are all in the water and can hurt fishies. Floating plants like giant duckweed, frogbit, or even cabomba or anacharis are inexpensive insurance to keep your fishies breathing easy, plus they look great and fish like to hide and play around them. Share some Gup pictures! 🙂

There are some plants in there.  I gave them the Reverse Respiration treatment!  2 java ferns, 2 bolbitis, and one anubias.  The little guppies were cleaning dead algae off the plants yesterday before lights out.  They did an excellent job tidying up a large clump of mini bolbitis, it looks great.  Thanks, guppies!

Lights on in 4.5 hours.  Don't worry, I'll let yall know how their first night went.

• Love 2

They're all alive this am!  I fed them, and they still seem hungry- I'm fighting the urge to drop more food on them.

20221020_103033.gif.7ad83eb69b3451680dd504d2c3d3d2dd.gif

@GuppysnailI've been using store bought enzymes.  I'll ask him if I can have some of his media.

I bought some repashy super gold and I'm excited to make and feed it.  Guppies gonna be eatin good tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:46 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

They're all alive this am!  I fed them, and they still seem hungry- I'm fighting the urge to drop more food on them.

20221020_103033.gif.7ad83eb69b3451680dd504d2c3d3d2dd.gif

@GuppysnailI've been using store bought enzymes.  I'll ask him if I can have some of his media.

I bought some repashy super gold and I'm excited to make and feed it.  Guppies gonna be eatin good tomorrow morning!

Just for the future, @Guppysnail is a she.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1