My new Threadfin has a weird mouth

Corbidorbidoodle

I bought some Threadfins from my LFS today. When I got them in to my tank, I noticed one of them has a weird mouth thing.

I've seen him eat and he seems fine, but have any of you seen this before? 

It kinda looks like his bottom lip is sticking out or something. It's real hard to get a photo, but I'll attach what I can.

PXL_20221018_230547307.jpg

On 10/19/2022 at 1:13 AM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

I bought some Threadfins from my LFS today. When I got them in to my tank, I noticed one of them has a weird mouth thing.

I've seen him eat and he seems fine, but have any of you seen this before? 

It kinda looks like his bottom lip is sticking out or something. It's real hard to get a photo, but I'll attach what I can.

PXL_20221018_230547307.jpg

It’s usually get a genetic malformation of the jaw bone. Is he eating well (or able to eat)??

P.S. I love those fish!

He seems to be eating just fine. I saw a lot of stuff on the interwebs about dislocated jaws and such. But this seems more like a genetic issue probably.

I'm going to take him back to the pet store and swap them out for a better looking mail today at some point.

They're really neat looking fish. I've been wanting them for a long time, and found some of the LFS for 8 bucks.

They look kind of plain Jane right now. Could be they were cheaper cuz they're a plain silver variety. I'm hoping they color up to the yellow and pink that I've seen.